Holes - Tapped, Using Create 3D Object from 2D

Greetings,

I have a need to create tapped holes in 3D. The "Hole - Tapped" command under the Detailing section is great for 2D. It allows me to specify a screw without actually knowing the intricate details of the screw. This is especially important as my clients usually specify the type of screw they need and I have no idea what size it actually is until I type the spec into VectorWorks.

The Vectorworks 12 Documentation says that the "Create 3D Object from 2D" works on the "Hole - Tapped". However, I've not been able to get it to work. The command only seems to work on objects which have a secondary 3D counterpart in a sub-button. The "Hole - Tapped" version doesn't.

Does anyone know if I can convert my tapped holes? If not, any other ways I can get a 3D version of a tapped hole?

Thanks,

jcooper

Seems like a pretty complicated solution, especially when the VW12 Help says that the software is capable of creating these objects for you. Since my application is relatively simple it doesn't make sense to expend so much effort creating the objects in such a way but thanks for the info nonetheless.

Does anyone know if the inability to create 3D tapped holes from the 2D version just a bug in the software or is it simply a mis-statement in the VW literature?

Does anyone know if the inability to create 3D tapped holes from the 2D version just a bug in the software or is it simply a mis-statement in the VW literature?

Well I cant tell you if it's a bug or a typo, but I can confirm that it seems to say that in the manual and that it also doesn't work for me. :-(

N.

• 11 months later...