Editing Light Info Records Globally.

OK, I want to edit my symbols and give them names that will appear in LW the way I like them.

For example a source 4 symbol is named "Etc Source 4 36deg"

I hate that I like "S4 36?"

So I've edited my symbol and changed it's name.

That didn't do it.

Then while editing a symbol I clicked in blank space then changed the info in the light info record. That didn't do it either.

Even though I've changed all this stuff still when I drop a symbol onto the drawing the Instrument name is the long name it came with, as seen in the light info record.

Does anyone know how to do this?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You need to change the Inst Type field in the light info data record attached to the symbol def. Edit the symbol and de-select. Chnage the name and then exit the symbol. This should fix it for all new symbols in the drawing. Updating the existing instruments in the drawing requires a few extra steps. Let me know if you need to do this too and I will detail the additional steps.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Make the changes to the record information as described above. Then run the find and modify command. Select all lights whose symbol name is "ETC Source 4 36?"(or what ever symbol you modified). Click OK. The OIP will say # Lighting devices selected. Highlight the Inst Type field and then hit the delete key then the enter key. The instrument will regenerate and and the field will be filled in with the new data.

Thanks for the info Kevin - that's something I've also been trying to fix.

Will the 'find/modify & delete key then enter key sequence' work for updating other fields to the (new) default that has been modified?

I suppose if Nemetcheck NA published all of the info and tricks for Spotlight it would put you out of a job?

Thanks for your help