Color-coding sets of instruments?

I'm designing a show with multiple stages around the perimeter of a black box space, so although there is essentially a plot for each stage the instruments share a common grid and circuit layout. To help keep my sanity I wanted to color-code the instruments so the set for each stage can be identified on the plot (or at least on screen).

So I first tried to do this by putting all instruments in one layer and then having a class for each stage area and assigning the instruments the correct class. But I have not been able to make the class color setting have any affect on the display.

I ended up creating multiple instrument layers, one for each stage. That makes the color-coded thing work, but complicates manipulation of the plot since I often have to force select to grab an instrument if it is in a different layer.

Is there a better way to color-code sets of instruments with common characteristics?

Thanks! That is a solution I hadn't thought of and does do the trick. Although one thing I discoverd to be useful is printing multiple versions of the plot, one for each area, with each area's instruments highlighted (others greyed) on its print. I can do that with layers (and maybe classes), not sure label legend would.

• 5 weeks later...

One solution i have done in the past is create a new set of symbols that contain a color scheme. while you create the instruments, create new classes. set the class for whatever color you want. then using viewports bring up whatever 'color set' you want to show.

Drew