architectural symbol library

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

lclew,

As far as I know there are no architectural lighting symbols designed for use in Spotlight. You can make them by taking a simple symbol and attaching the Light Info record to the symbol and filling out the necessary information in the record. Please refer to the Advanced Topics chapter in the Spotlight manual for details. Spoltight (Vectorworks and Renderworks) do not support IES files. Spotlight photometric calculations are based on a simple cosine distribution of direct light from a point source.

Thanks

I created a new symbol and am trying to create attributes to it. i assigned a 5 degree beam spread and a 7 degree field angle in the light info record, but it doesn't draw it when i check the "draw beam" box in the object info browser. I get "invalid beam angle." I've assigned my new symbol a 15' Z axis and have assigned the focus point to the instrument. Can I create custom angles to be drawn with new symbols, or am I getting in over my head? I'm not a programmer...

It would be ___SO___ great if upcoming versions of Spotlight supported architectural lighting fixtures and low/line voltage lamps. I hope there's more of a demand out there than just me!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Make sure you follow the directions carefilly when creating the symbol. Be sure when you are editing the symbol you DE-SELECT everyting before you attatch the light info record. If you have something selected in the symbol and then attach the record, the record will be attached to that object and not the symbol def. Also try moving the focus point, there are some lighting angles that it can not calculate, you should get an error message that says Can not calculate, angle must be larger then xxx

I've used Spotlight extensively for theatrical lighting design, but now I'm trying to apply it for architectural lighting purposes. Is there an add-on library out there that contains architectural lighting symbols such as low voltage par 36, and line voltage track system intruments from manufacturers such as LSI that have photometric data that is viewable in Spotlight? Someone told me about IES files, but I've had no luck in getting them to read in Spotlight. I don't even know if I CAN...