Adding a pipe down position howto?

I want to add a pipe down from an existing lighting position (pipe), with 4 instruments. Of course the instruments are stacked in top view at different Z heights if I put it on the same plot as the overall plot. In non-VW plots I would show an instrument in profile (shaded) to indicate position on the main plot and draw the pipe down position and instruments in a different "window." Can't figure out how to do this in VW, but it is so common there must be a way. Or do I just do it the old-fashioned way: draw a filled instrument symbol, make a new drawing, etc. Thoughts? Any help is much appreciated!

Yeah the old fashioned way works for drawing a plot but breaks all of the VW 3-D, visualisation, beam angle, rendering. I agree there must be a way to make it work.

The irony--another way I tried to do it in VW was actually add a pipe lighting position aligned with the Z axis with instruments stacked by different Z value, so the fancy VW stuff works.

But then the plot makes no sense for hanging and wouldn't be any use to an electrician!

hmmmm... was hoping for someone to say there is a clean way to do this in VW (as Jim says "better, more modern..."), but seems maybe it is beyond VW capability? I can add a pipe down position in drafting or in rendering/beam angles, etc, but no way to make it work for both?

Maybe there is a way to do this with viewports but I am still very new in that area.