AutoCAD, VW, LW and wysiwyg

I am copying this post as it was in a read only area:

"jodawi

Member # 1168

posted 06-25-2004 02:38 PM

VectorWorks 11 will open and save version 2004/2005 files.

Note for users of older versions of VectorWorks:

When AutoCAD saves files to previous versions, it sometimes creates corrupt files, and sometimes stores extra information which can confuse the importer in earlier versions of VectorWorks. If you have this trouble, you can try using different DXF or DWG versions, or try switching from DXF to DWG or vice-versa. Version 12 should generally have the least amount of trouble, tho in rare cases AutoCAD may create a corrupt file.

Problems like this are usually avoided by using the latest version of VectorWorks.

--------------------

John Williams

Core Technologies, NNA

If you want to make sure i see your response please email a copy to me at: jodawi@nemetschek.net"

--------------------

I have VW 11 sitting in its vacuum sealed package, waiting to be installed. I am currently using VW10.1 and I am having great trouble plotting... That is a hit or miss situation. I am tired of beating that dead horse.

As soon as I am done with the current project in 10.1, I will install and start the next project. Here is how it goes for me:

Receive AutoCAD 2000 dwg

Import to AutoCAD LT (Light) 2000 or 2004

Import into VW 10.1, Lighting Designer does his thing

Export to LightWright3

Export VW10.1 back to AutoCAD LT 2000 or 2004

Import AutoCAD2000 into wysiwyg

Import LW3 into wysiwyg

Then do the show, come back and make as-built in VW to put into archives. This is where I am now. The plotting problems are preventing me from installing new software, and thus preventing me from trying the software out before working on the next project.

The list is just the tip of the iceberg, the company I work for does a lot more to these drawings than import and export. [Wink]

My question is, what version of AutoCAD is going to work with VW 11? I am sorry if this is coming across very blunt. I am anxious to install, and unsure of how this will affect our process.

[ 06-25-2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Andrea B. ]

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto Jgoss's comments,

I've been able to read A-Cad drawings from our renovation architect, modify them in both v10.5 and 11 (we just recently upgraded), re-export to .dwg format and have them read by the architects office as well as the ETC A-Cad systems. The only comment I heard was from ETC, where certain text styles - bold, etc... didn't convert correctly, but were still readable after a quick modification.

I'll be at the ETC user training session in 2 weeks and will (hopefully) get a chance to attempt a Vectorworks v11 conversion to WYSIWYG/Emphasis. It's something I will really need to figure out as we are planning to upgrade to Emphasis this year, but will continue to use VW (it's more widely used, IMO) as well as LW4, which we also just upgraded to (worth it).

I'll let you know

Steve Bailey