wall to lines convertion

hello,

i can not figure out to convert simple joined walls to lines without showing the diagonal in the joint.

i really would like to know how to do that, because drawing with the wall tool is fast but when I communicate with ingeneers and others we need to be able to have them as lines.

best regards marek

I'm not usually inclined to respond to people's queries by questioning their method but I'm very surprised you feel the need to use lines in order to communicate with others. Maybe you can elaborate on why exactly you need to use this method, as we may be able to offer you an alternative.

I'm not sure how you get rid of the diagonal joint automatically.

I think it should be possible to bring the visible drawing information down to a more simple level. generally. It is possible in order to print, the visible appearance of walls, hatches and so on gets breaked down to simple lines, why not within vectorworks?

I am a quiet experienced and know how to handle the object-based drawing methods in vw, it is not always working very intuitive and you have to know many work-arounds.

on a big project with many architects and engineers working on it we need to be able to bring the drawing-object-complexity down to a level that everybody can work on. such as lines, polygons and so on.

best regards marek

Marek.dk - that's going back to the days of electronic drafting.

If you really want to work that way you can. Just draw your walls using the Double-Line Polygon Tool with the Draw Lines option selected. You will have to manually:

- Form door and window openings (and create all your own 2D door and window symbols).

- Hatch the wall components with separate polygons.

It will work, but it will be a hell of a lot slower.

i personally like to work with the wall tools.

it is not my wish to work that simple way but it seems necessary, since there is still so many problems with the object based drawings for so many people. even in this forum many questions doesn?t get answered very satisfying.

it is a bug that you can not bring down joined walls to simple lines. and i wish this becomes possible in future.

best regards marek

on a big project with many architects and engineers working on it we need to be able to bring the drawing-object-complexity down to a level that everybody can work on. such as lines, polygons and so on.

Ah, I see what you mean. I thought you were having a problem with consultants using other software, when in fact you mean other people using Vectorworks.

Although I managed to eventually convert our office to using walls it's an ongoing campaign. We'll get new people coming in the office who resist. Generally I use education but sometimes the resistance is so strong I need to resort to belittlement. It helps of course that the boss understands and is convinced of using walls.

You're probably tripling the time it takes to make modifications so you have to be stark raving mad not to use them; that or they simply don't know how to use the tool. And I've found the later to always be the case. And most of the time it's a lack of understanding about the mode bar and the sequences needed to join certain walls.

Show people all the different modes the wall tool has and show them the bit in the manual about joining walls and you'll have convinced most people.

Show them this thread to. I don't want to offend anyone but if you don't take the time to learn this tool properly you're actually stiffling other people's potential and for that people should be compunctious.

Marek,

Try turning the fill of your walls to none before you convert them.

I think the diagonal lines you are seeing are the edges of the fill polygon that gets created when you ungroup a wall that has fill.

This may be what you are seeing if you change the lineweight of the lines after you have ungrouped a filled wall. It just assigns a lineweight to the polygons and you see the mitred corners.

If you ungroup an unfilled wall, all you get is the perimeter lines, and no polygons.

yes christiaan, you are right.

mike?s comment showed a possible way to go. I export a drawing without fills to dwg and then import it back to vectorworks. all walls are nicely converted to lines.

another typical vectorworks work-around smile.gif

thank you all for your help :marek

yes, but the export-import is the clue. else you get the diagonals anyway.

does anybody have an idea about how to write a script that exports to .dwg and later import it back to .mcd?

I need also a script for exporting all my .mcd files to .dwg once in a while in order to easily exchange information with my consultans. Does anybody know how to do?

best regards :marek