wall niche?

Any tips for creating a niche in a wall object?

I'm trying to use a cased opening shallower than the wall, with a 1/16 thick jamb, but either the symbol cuts through the entire thickness of wall or just floats and does not insert.

I'm supposing I could break the wall and create little walls below, above, and behind, but that is laborious, inelegant, and not easily editable.

This is a good trick. However the wall does lose it's property of a wall and becomes a solid subtraction. You would not be able to insert doors or windows into the solid subtraction.

You can manipulate a door to look like a niche and still retain the wall as a wall. By adjusting the door swing, thickness, height, and jamb thickness, you can create what appears to be a niche.

the wall does lose it's property of a wall and becomes a solid subtraction. You would not be able to insert doors or windows into the solid subtraction.

Bugger, yeah you're right, I thought you could double click into the wall and insert a door, window, etc but obviously it then becomes part of the solid subtraction instead of remaining as a door. frown.gif

I have made, some time ago, a plugin that fits your needs. It can create parametric niches or openings with splays (also aymmetric) and vault of various kinds.

I can't attach the plug in directly here. Let me know how to send it to you.

Ciao,

You can form niches by Solid Subtraction. The downside is the wall loses its intelligence. To edit it as a wall again you have to Edit the grouped object. It is a bit inconvenient but it does work.

The plug-in of Paolo's sounds a much better way of doing it. Paolo any chance of posting it at Vector Depot - perhaps in the Market Section.

You can form niches by Solid Subtraction. The downside is the wall loses its intelligence. To edit it as a wall again you have to Edit the grouped object. It is a bit inconvenient but it does work.

As pointed out above Mike, this doesn't work because any further addtitions to the wall (such as a door) contribute to the Solid Subtraction rather than staying as a door.

Keep the wall a wall. Make the niche (doesn't go all the way through the wall, right?) a symbol. Edit the symbol's insertion options to:

Insert In Walls: On Edge

Wall Breaks: Half Break

This will break the wall surface only on the side the symbol is inserted on, and keep the walls 'wallness"

• 1 month later...

Most of the object inserted into a wall penetrate entirely through like a window. However there are some instances when you need to have only a partial cut into a wall such as a beam pocket in a masonry wall. Up to now I have created a symbol with the back half of the wall behind the 3d solid and insert the symbol into the wall with full break and no caps defined. To simulate an actual cut out of the masonry wall I built the solid with 3d polys leaving the face out to show a hole in the wall. This symbol once installed may be adjusted in "Z" height and shows well in plan view.

I have had to create redundant symbols to cover most occurances of a masonry beam pocket but once you have one it is just a matter or duplicating and modifying existing symbols.

Following is the different graphics:

1.) 2 dimensional (plan view)

BMPKT2D.jpg

2.) 3D inserted into wall

BMPKT3D.jpg

3.) 3D view of actual symbol

BMPKTSYM.jpg

The only issue I have encountered that shows poorly is the edge surface of the wall at the top and sides where the beam pocket inserts next to will not be cut by the symbol. If there was a way to subtract or mask out the wall edges that collide with the symbol it would make the 3D view and hidden line rendering show better.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Pete Anthony

I agree with you, Robert, the name "Openings" for the plugin's set may be confusing, but niche is an option available in a general, very customizable, opening in the wall.

here's th info panel of the plugin

info.jpg

and same image respectively in plan view, dashed line and openGL renderings.

planView_niche.JPG

dash_lines_niche.JPG

openGL_niche.JPG

Hope now it's clear.

• 2 weeks later...