Vectorworks 12 Colour/Pattern

I've recently started using Vectorworks 12 (the rest of the office are still on v11) so when i'm opening and converting the v11 files, in order to work on them, the class colours and patterns go all funny.

Patterns seem to print much bigger and opaque layers dont seem to keep their colour as they did in v11 (as in grey shadows turn pink at 50% opacity for example)

Does anyone know of any settings or preferences to regulate this, or is it a case of printer settings?

confused.gif

I'm glad it's 6:00 somewhere! Have one on me ...

If you get to it over the weekend, check to see if you have quartz turned on in the VW preferences. You may also want to run disk utility to verify and repair disk permissions.

Hi, I checked and I have Quartz turned on.

I ran disk utility but still no change.

I was noticing there, some of the colours; though they have the exact same class attributes, are on the same layer etc. appear differently on screen (one darker than the other), and print differently also!

The problem seems to be coming from the layer opacity function, though this problem did not seem to arise in V11 with layer overlay?

Has anyone else had this problem??

Hi BNM.

Yes, our office experiences this exact same problem since upgrading to VectorWorks 12. Some computers are on 10.4.3, others 10.4.6, others now 10.4.7, the problem occurs on all.

It's also not printer specific, as it occurs on the following printers:

HP DesignJet 800PS

Minolta C250

Canon S4500

HP OfficeJet series

Ticking the 'Print patterns at on-screen resolutions' checkbox within your Print Options drop-menu does indeed work in some cases. Not all though, I assume it depends on the layer scale.

Really not impressive - devs, what has changed in this aspect since v11?

I ought note that i'm speaking purely about patterns printing wrong, not about the other problems you describe.

Edited by highpass

Quartz is what has changed. The opacity will affect the color that is printed. Although, the color shouldn't vary wildly from what you see on your screen.

I suggest, if not already, updating to 10.4.6. 10.4.7 was a little surprise to some of us and I personally haven't had a chance to fully test the environment.

I also suggest updating to VW 12 0 1, if you haven't already done so.

I also suggest turning quartz off and printing the drawing. The opacity will look non-transparent, but this is simply a test. You can also try to turn on rasterize print output and see the results.

I also suggest trying a print from a new, blank document with a simple set of shapes.

hi highpass, katie

Yes, it is a very frustrating problem...

I also tried ticking and un-ticking the 'print patterns at on-scale resolution' option, but like you say highpass, this does not really work for all drawings. Plus the drawing quality is pretty bad, sort of hazy !

I've also just spent 15mins looking for the rasterize print option , but cant find it....Used to be able to find it in V11, but no luck in V12! Does anyone know?

Another question, slightly un-related, is if there is any option in V12 to save as V11 (As in Autocad, saving files as a lower version)..in order to work with colleagues...Since V11 is no longer available. Is a question of the entire office being obliged to upgrade.

How do I update to V12 0 1?

I'm on OS 10 4 6 already

Hi BNM,

For V11 Drawings, simply open your V12 drawing, and choose File - Export - Vectorworks 11.

On a side note, I find it a bit annoying that V12 can't export at anything lower than V9, nor import drawings earlier than V8. This forces us into keeping multiple copies of Vectorworks and being forced into using Classic at times. Tut! :-)

For rasterizing prints, go to File - Print, pull down the Vectorworks option, and choose Rasterize Print Output.

This option is not listed at all should you be using the Quartz Imaging display option within Preferences, along with a few other options such as 'Disable driver text rotation', 'Enable special processing...', and 'Print Postscript only' options.

Updating to v12.0.1 is available from this page: http://nemetschek.net/downloads/index.php

Edited by highpass