Wall join challenge

I tried and I cannot get it to work completely - the walls will join but the cavities won't.

Two questions though:

- As they are different materials shouldn't the interior wall cap join to the exterior wall?

- Why does the interior wall's cavity have to join the exterior wall's cavity.

I want a chance at the Chocolate Fish...lol. Can you save the file as a VW 11?

If I remember correctly I found v11 a little easier to join some types of junctions so out of curiosity here's a version 11 file, but I'm interested in v12 because if no one can do it I'll submit it as a bug.

As they are different materials shouldn't the interior wall cap join to the exterior wall?

Not sure what you mean here Mike, can you elaborate (and describe using the hatches).

Why does the interior wall's cavity have to join the exterior wall's cavity.

Sound attenuation.

The interior walls are a different material to the inner leaf of the exterior cavity wall. Therefore the wall joins should not be contiguous with that inner leaf. They should be capped to indicate that there is a butt joint to the inner leaf of blockwork at the point where the materials change.

You have two walls in your example. An exterior cavity wall with insulation in the cavity, and an interior cavity wall. What I am asking is why the cavity of the interior wall has to connect to the cavity of the exterior wall? It doesn't seem logical to me.

The interior walls are a different material to the inner leaf of the exterior cavity wall. Therefore the wall joins should not be contiguous with that inner leaf. They should be capped to indicate that there is a butt joint to the inner leaf of blockwork at the point where the materials change.

Oh I see what you mean, good point. I've altered the image to show capping.

You have two walls in your example. An exterior cavity wall with insulation in the cavity, and an interior cavity wall. What I am asking is why the cavity of the interior wall has to connect to the cavity of the exterior wall? It doesn't seem logical to me.

It's to do with sound attenuation: stopping sound from travelling between dwellings via the inner leaf of the exterior cavity wall.

I've done it . . .

although I don't have a website to post it to.

I can see why what you're trying to do isn't working easily, but does it mean that its a bug; isn't it more a wish list item?

I cheated by adding a third wall style; a 'blank cavity', and started-in from the exterior walls (rather than the other direction).

• 7 months later...