All 2d objects in Top/Plan view

P Retondo

Question

Someone in another thread suggested making a hybrid symbol out of an extruded object in order to be able to dimension curves properly in Top/Plan view. I made the following comments in that thread, and am copying them here because it is clear to me that NNA has a great opportunity to make VW more powerful based on one of their existing core concepts:

This is an excellent suggestion, and it contains a kernel of how NNA can take advantage of the hybrid system to make it easy to toggle back and forth between a 2d and 3d version of the model. There should be a way to automate the generation of this 2d representation, instead of the labor-intensive method involved in creating a hybrid symbol. Currently 3d objects that are not hybrids are displayed as wire frames in Top/Plan view. My suggestion is that they should be displayed instead as 2d objects - e.g., the 2d polygon that is the root of an extrude object.

There are complications here, of course. What about objects that were extruded from a working plane other than the normal one? The 2d object would have to be properly skewed. One of the things that should be implemented, which I have wished for for years: have the 2d root geometry of extruded objects move in its 2d space in lockstep with spatial translations applied to the 3d object. If the 3d object is moved over 12", for example, the 2d object brought up by double clicking is in the current scheme of things no longer "registered" with the 3d object. (I've had a VW engineer protest about the working plane complication, but gee, this is simple 3d coordinate system translation stuff; even axis rotations and translation of 0,0,0 is relatively simple and it's done everytime we rotate an object on the screen.)

One of the advantages of VW over Rhino (and SketchUp too) is this very ability to move between the highly controlled 2d space and 3d geometry. I've never understood why NNA doesn't push this unique capability to the hilt.

(Further thoughts: what about other objects, such as extrudes-along-path, spheres, solid boolean creations? Some, such as spheres, which can be generated from a circle, could be represented as hybrids. Others, such as boolean subtractions and additions, would perhaps be left to be shown as wireframes. In most cases there isn't a simple construction-related need to have these complex objects represented as 2d objects in Top/Plan view anyway.)

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet