DWG geo-reference

mlau

hello,

I've imported a dwg successfully into VW and the coordinate extents are correct. For example, one of my site boundry points is x=2355661' y=358798' in VW as well as my GIS program, (projected in a State Plane coordinate system.) This coordinate point is located in South Carolina.

The problem I am having is that when I export the same file, as dwg, with same extents VW seems to change the coordinate system. Therefore I can not place the data correctly in its real-world location. The same coordinate mentioned above, after export from VW to dwg, becomes x=28276649 y=4295733. Off enough to take me from South Carolina to central Africa, (using a State Plane projection)

Can anyone explain to me if and how VW projects geographic data when exporting as dwg or dxf, I'm using Architect.

thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I wonder if this still is an issue.

Some important client bodies in Finland refuse to commission consultants using VW because of similar experiences. I've done some testing within VW (12.5) and a friendly colleague tried two sample files with AutoCAD and Microstation and we do not seem to have the problem.