custom window tag

I would like to create a simple window tag (hexagon w/ text in the middle). Rather than creating a group and edit the text individually, I would like to create a tag where you can change the text in the Object Info palette; similar to a drawing tag, etc.

Any ideas?

First of all - I assume you reject using VectorWorks' built in window tag system.

For developing your custom tagging symbols VW has a feature which allows you to either link text in a symbol to an existing database - VW calls them 'Record Format' or create a new database with the fields you need.

The database needs to be built before the symbol containing the text. To make your own go to Resource browser Palette>resources>new resource in yourfilename>record format. develop the needed fields and preload them with example or default information.

Now create the hexagon and the text block which will contain the data. Use tools to align and center the text on the hexagon. Text should be created with the insertion point as Center vertical and Center horizontal. Once all is aligned properly do not group them. instead go to Modify Menu>Create Symbol. Fill out the dialog box correctly for your symbol and click OK.

Now go to The resource Palette>Resources>Symbols and select your new symbol. Click edit, select edit 2D and when you are in the symbol deselect all parts and select only the text. Go to the Modify Menu and find the Link Text To Record? selection. Up comes a dialog to select the correct record format, then select the field you want linked to your text. Click the requisite OK's to finish editing the symbol.

Make sure the new custom window tag symbol is the active symbol and place them on the drawing where you want them. By selecting the Data tab in the PIO you will notice that the record format for the symbol is active and you can enter the data for each symbol instance in the PIO.

I hope this lengthy mini tutorial is helpful to you.

B. Clyde Beck

Architect (and VectorWorks trainer as a sideline)