Floor Joists

It depends on whether or not you need a " Reflected Ceiling Plan ". we use "S-Layers" for structural footings, foundations, walls, columns & beams, and joists. "A-Layers" for the Architectural Floor Plans. Finding a satisfactory compromise between the readability, economy, and efficiency of the Planset can be tricky. The simplicity of the solution depends on the complexity of the problem.

I am not sure how a reflected ceiling plan relates to the floor joists. In my practice, a reflected ceiling plan shows what is visible in the finished product. A reflected ceiling plan would typically show the finished ceiling and perhaps the lights.

The floor joists would go on structural plans. In your case, Bruce, the location depends on the project. I would probably put them on the basement plan which would also show the foundation and retaining walls.

Not to make things out to be more than they appear to be....it seems as though you are working in a residential environment which typically is rather simple with content. Each level of a building may have all of the above depending on the structure. We have found that it makes sense to establish both floor and ceiling plans for all levels including the basement. If the level does not require framing for the ceiling than don't use the layer or classes. However, we seem to use all of the above in each level of a home. Basements, most of the time do not have a seperate ceiling plan unless part of the structure is exposed above grade with a roof above necessitating a ceiling. If you plan for it than your layers and classes will be available to frame on.

Pete Anthony

OVE