Minor Architect Improvements

Two suggestions for minor improvements to a few Architect tools. When using the shower PIO, I rarely need a side shown on all sides. Typically I only need a ledge on one of the sides that you enter in on. The other sides are typically walls. It would be great if the tool could be slightly modified to have the option for selecting which sides are to be shown.

The second suggestion is regarding the bipart doors. It would be really, really nice if the astragal came up as 0" as the default, or providing a way to allow users to make 0" the default.

Thanks.

It is one of the first parameters (in the scripts area) I change on every new door PIO. We do not use bi-parts with astragals in our practice.

If this change was made at the programming level, it would save me a little time.... and time is always appreciated! :-)

An obvious misunderstanding:

The astragal is not a post in the middle. It is for exterior double doors in residential construction in US and is applied to the non active door and opens with that door. The inactive door has hardware that pins it to the floor and ceiling so it is rigid to receive the active door. It can be opened by unpinning it. The purpose of the astragal is to give a rabbet to receive the active door and be able to seal it (weatherstrip). It is a standard US detail.

In Australia we rebate the two door meeting stiles so that they form an orthoganal 'Z' shape in plan view. Possible that we get away with this because we don't have the extremes of cold that you do.

Perhaps the misunderstanding comes from the astragal looking as if it is part of the frame in Top/Plan View, and remaining with the frame in a 3D view when the doors are shown in the open position.

Henry, I think what people are complaining about?and why I change the parameters so the astragal does not show up?is that the astragal is not shown attached to the door leaf, it is shown as a separate member that stays in place regardless of the position of the door Leafs (leaves?), appearing more like a mullion than the astragal you are describing.

Of course if I had read all of Mike's reply before typing I would have been able to say much less, and second his second paragraph...

• 2 weeks later...

First open a blank (new) document, then select the door tool. Open the door tool preferences, and select bi-parting door, and Parts. Now set the astragal sizes to 0 (zero). While you're at it set all the other parts to the sizes you prefer. Do the same exercise for the other door types, until you have the defaults set just as you prefer them to be. Now save the (still blank) drawing as a Template, and when you use it in future there will be no astragals in the bi-parting doors.

If you already have templates made - say for different page sizes, or with title blocks - simply open the existing template, make your adjustments to the door preferences, and Save as Template use the same name (replacing the original). It's worth doing a similar exercise for windows also, particularly if you work in metric units, because most of the VW "standard" part sizes are based on imperial.

I suppose it all depends on the type of work you do. I do mostly school work (US) and almost all of our double doors have a removable mullion for latching rim exit devices (panic bars). Almost never use surface bolts (accessibility & maintenence issues).

Being able to set a default would be nice, tho'.