how to control class visibility in referencing

help,

we use building standard names for the classes. so we have the same class names in all drawings.

when we are referencing drawings into each other, we are often in a situation where we for example don?t want see the dimension class in the referenced layer, but we want to see it in the files layer.

is there a possibility to control the class visibility in the references seperately from the other layers?

We really need this function. It would be a bug to name classes differently in the different drawings.

thankful for any good ideas how to handle this. I hope there is good way to manage this.

best regards marek

This won't help with your immediate problem, but one long term way VW could handle this would be to offer more controls over layer linking in the OIP. Ideally, you would be able to select a layer link and have some similar controls as a viewport- like the layers and classes buttons, and ideally a crop option. This would give you the ability to turn on and off classes specifically to a layer link, and not effect the whole drawing.

i would suggest that that for what you are trying to do it would be a good idea to have different classes for different types of dimensioning. i use the same class for the notes and dimensions for a drawing...

Notes-Foundation

Notes-Floor Framing

Notes-RC Plan

and so on

that way you can turn off the notes and the dims that you don't want.

• 2 weeks later...

ok,

I mean the problem is more general.

your suggestions are about how to handle specifically the dimensioning issue. and they seem to me not be an optimal way.

In the programme microstation for every reference (layer) you can control all classes. And that is a perfect and effective tool to work with referencing.

erics suggestion with a class control in a layerlinks oip could do it. so please, vectorworks-people, arrange that.

thanks, marek