Large file sizes

I am having an issue at work that I don't not have at home.

the saved file sizes go from around 5mb (with a detailed model of a multi storey dwelling) to 40 or even 180mb. Using final shaded polygon or openGL rendering. using viewports to represent the computer model.

From my experiments and reading it seems to be a saving the 'Viewport chache' causes this. At home this does not seem to be a problem, with around a max of 13-20mb.

i have yet to muck around with the DPI settings for the sheet layers at home to see the difference.

here are the specs.

Work:

VW 12.0.0

Mac OS 10.3 to 10.4

G4s to G5s, 768mb to 1gb RAM

Home:

VW 12.0.1

Mac OS 10.4.6

G5, 1.25gb RAM

Is this a bug fixed in 12.0.1, or am I just expecting too much! ie I should turn down the DPI and/or not bother saving the 'Viewport Chache'

Saving the VP Cache is Pagesize/DPI dependent and ... as noted... requires substantial diskspace. There is a neat little trick tho ...

Reducing the scale of your VP also reduces the size of the cached file.

Rendering at large Page Large scale takes time & resources. But if I render the VP at a much smaller scale , then zoom in on it ... do a Screen Capture ... the processes is quick & I get a reasonable image to email at under 250k.