3D visibility

Can someone talk me through the rules on 3D visibility. I'm making a drawing which comprises strings of 'bunting' or flags. In plan they are all rotated at different angles. Each string of bunting is made of a sequence of various repeats of 10 symbols which are different sized rectangles. If I make them NURBS curves they show in wireframe but not in GL. If I make them extruded polygons they don't render well. If I make them mesh then I have to make a 2D version to see them in plan. And then there's the cord they're hanging on. Extrude along path is the simplest option but that doesn't seem to show up in anything other than plan. I'm working with VW 12. Any advice much appreciated.

First:

NURBS curves are only "lines" not surfaces. (In fact they are not even "lines"; think of them as Paths like an Illustrator Path.) In order to have a Fill, use Model>Create Surface from Curves.

Second:

NURBS Curves are often made in a Class called "Red Curves" which seems to default to being turned off. Check the Class (and Layer) Visibilities if your NURBS (or anything else for that matter) seems to disappear for no reason.

Third:

Check that objects (eg your Extrude along path) have a solid fill. It's worth checking that the Profile of your Extrude along path has a solid fill; sometimes that effects things.

HTH