Crash on opening

Using Vectworks 12 on a PC with XP Pro. We are having problems with vectorworks all of sudden crashing when opening for no apparent reason.

At first I thought it may have just been a problem with that PC. But now it has started doing in on my laptop.

The only way we have resolved it was to re-install the program and delete all files from the local settings folder.

The following message is in the error report. When I send the report to Microsoft, they say it is a problem with quicktime, however I cannot upgrade to the latest version as Vectorworks will not work.

AppName: vectorworks.exe AppVer: 12.0.0.49891 ModName: quicktime.qts

ModVer: 7.0.2.120 Offset: 000fb7c1

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Pete

Could be the corrupted workspace bug. Since the new workspace file is a quicktime file format, that might explain your QT error message.

I just went through the drill, once again. This time, the corruption I think was associated with an irregular shutdown - VW wouldn't quit, and had to force-quit with Task Manager. Then VW wouldn't open until I deleted my current workspace file (.qtr file in Workspace program folder). Fortunately, following the suggestions of Katie and others, I had a copy of my customized workspace stashed away, and was able to get back up and running without too much trouble.

It seems possible the .qtr file was corrupted during the irregular shutdown, though I have not modified my workspace for some time.

Edited by P Retondo

I have experienced similar difficulties.

I uninstalled quicktime and reinstalled from the VW disc. I removed my workspaces, and it started right up. Fortunately, I also had a workspace backup saved elsewhere, so I'm back on track.

It seems that the corrupted workspace bug is a significant issue. I have not modfied my workspace, nor updated itunes or quicktime, in quite awhile, so it is a mystery as to the initial cause of corruption.

I just had my workspace get corrupted again. I saved and then closed a fairly large drawing file. VW hung when I tried to exit, so I ended the process in the Windows task manager. VW then started crashing until I copied the backed up version of my Architect.qtr file.

I've found that if updating QT or Itunes goes amiss, the quicktime version reports as 0.0, which causes this to happen.

If you get this message, the first thing to do is go to the control panel and launch QuickTime. Check the version - if it says 0.0 as the version type, then quicktime is corrupt, likely from a recent update.

To resolve this problem, you have to uninstall quicktime and itunes and remove the folders from your computer. Then go and install QuickTime and iTunes again.

If you have a custom workspace, you'll need to recreate your workspace in VW. If you have a standard workspace, you can send me an email and I'll send the workspace back to you, once I've verified your serial number.

My version of QuickTime is 7.0.2 and I don't have iTunes on this computer. I noticed that the last modified time on my corrupted file was right about the time VW hung. Would VW be writing something back to the workspace qtr file at the time of the hang up and corrupting the file?

I had a major problem with this happening when I first loaded VW12. When you originally load the QT it prompts you to download the latest version. Bad idea! VW will not work wit XP when the QT latest version (with ITUNES) is resident on the maching. Delete all occurance of QT...I mean everything...then reload VW from the disc. All of you local files will be OK if you have them located in independent folders outside of VW. Also I have found VW12 to be much more stable when you create seperate folders for each database project and set the auto save to create back-up to the resident folder. I also had to change my video card...VW was acting up until I gave it a good video card to pacify it.

Katie, even though I've made no changes in some time, my workspace file modification date changes every day I use VW. For some reason, the program is writing the file every time it's closed. Your engineers are obviously aware of that, though to me it isn't obvious why this would be necessary and it certainly opens the door for the kinds of problems we are having. I don't know if the v11.5 crash problem would be related - does v11 also use a .qtr workspace file?

Litebrite, it would also probably help Katie if you identified your OS and platform.

How much memory do you have installed?

What other programs are you running while you try to launch VW?

Have you tried to restart your computer and then launch VW?

There is 1GB of RAM

3GHz Processor.

I tried restarting and then launching works with no additional programs running (except norton). The same thing happened, I clicked on File and the program closed. Usually I am running VW with Microsoft Outlook Open as well as Firefox.

Thanks

Close Norton and then launch it.

You may need to delete VW and reinstall.

You may even have a problem with the computer reading the memory - that's typically what that error message indicates.

In that case, run Scan Disk to check for errors and let it fix any problems it finds.

Everything was going well, I ran the Scan Disk, closed Norton and finally deleted VW. After installing from my VW 11 CD I was able to open the program just fine, no apparente erros. The same occured after running the 11.0.1 and 11.5 updates. After I ran the 11.5.1 update the problem reappeared. This is getting frustrating although I appreciate all of the help. Thanks

I did indeed do that this second time around, however not when I orginally installed it on this computer. At that time it was a fresh 11.5.1 download. I am also receiving the "Install Log not found" message when I try to go through the Control Panel to uninstall Vectorworks. Any suggestions on that.

litebrite -

You will get the log error message - to uninstall, delete the VW folder.

I would redownload the updaters and run through them again. If you continue to get the error message, please contact Customer Service to request a new installation disk for 11.5.1. sales@nemetschek.net

Although it seems like a VW problem because 11.5 works okay, it still might be an operating system problem. I assume that others with Win XP can get 11.5.1 to work okay, so if a completely fresh reinstall still leaves you with a problem, I'd look into the OS. The "Open file" command interacts with Win XP to load the file.