Importing Detailed Sketchup Models

austins

Question

I am attempting to import a Sketchup file that is setup with several layers (similar to a VW file - layer per floor). The Sketchup model is fairly articulated with the correct thickness of walls, floors, glazing, etc. I have tried all of the three geometry mapping options, but the output in VW is a 3d symbol (per layer) composed of 3d polygons.

On the otherhand, if I start with a simple massing model from Sketchup, I get what I am looking for: VW wall, floor and roof objects.

Is there a particular way I could set up a Sketchup model to facilitate the transition between the two programs? Are there thresholds of detail that the importing process can not accomodate? If all else fails, is there a way to take the 3d polygons en masse and convert them to walls?

Thank you for your help.

Austin

2 answers to this question

Try exporting sketchup to a DWG first and then import it into VW. I had to do this. For some reason if I imported the sketchup file all I got was about half of my layers, and they were not even layers I could really use. I exported it to DWG and then imported it and it worked great. You have to have the full version of Sketchup to do this not the free one.

Whoa. That method (.skp to .dwg to .mcd) returned a bevy of 3d symbols composed of meshes. I had never even heard of a mesh before.

Since my last post I found this on the SketchUp.pdf on the Installer DVD.

"A component which creates an opening is imported as a VectorWorks window or door, if attached to an object imported as a VectorWorks wall. If the component touches the baseline of the wall it is considered to be a door; if it does not touch the baseline of the wall, it is considered to be a window.

"Groups and components are always imported as plain polygons in a symbol and do not generate any architectural elements such as walls or floors."

Is it me or do these points seem somewhat contradictory? Will components be imported as doors/windows or as plain polygons? And, it seems that I need to ungroup everything except doors and windows in Sketchup before I import into VW.

The ideal is the first point from the PDF. But, every Sketchup face will be imported as an individual wall/floor. Thus, if you have represented material thickness in Sketchup, it will be imported as two VW walls of the preset thickness (1 per face).

Anyone else going down this road, yet?

Austin