Window PIO: tilt n turn

Christiaan

Question

We'd like support for Tilt n Turn windows with regard to showing 3D hinge direction, especially as these are the most common window we use. (or maybe even some way to customise the PIO for any window configuration).

We currently use the following to indicate a tilt n turn:

tilt-n-turn_window.png

23 answers to this question

Actually I've got that wrong, it should look like this, as it tilts from the sill not the head. "The sash is operated by a single handle which incorporates two functions: inward opening to 90?, for safe cleaning; inward tilting, from cill, to create a ventilation gap at the head."

Edited by Christiaan

The other one we'd like to see support for is fully reversible. "The sash can be rotated by up to 170? to allow cleaning from the inside. A safety restrictor is triggered when the window is open to 5cm. When this is disengaged, the window can be reversed to the cleaning position where an automatic catch keeps the window in place.

I see, , maybe I was in the loo for that draughting lesson? The offices I've worked for have always used dotted lines.

Nice idea though. Think we'll adopt that.

I note the window tool doesn't use this convention... not that VW tends to be an authority on anything like this.

As an aside, I've always used an "F" to indicate a fixed pane. Is this what you use?

We use dashed lines whether they swing in or out - must be a UK thing. Maybe there's a convention, but I've never come across it.

The rest of Europe has a different convention for where the hinge is too - in the UK the lines converge on the hinge - I believe it's the opposite on the continent. No idea about the US ;-)

To my knowledge the rest of the world uses the opposite (more logical in my view) convention.

Well at least we have a companion, unlike with our primitive standard of measure.

I, too, find the door triangle more logical as the rest of the world uses it. Still to this day, I have to fairly consciously contradict my instinct.

As an aside, does the Australian distributor modify the window and door plugins to suit the Aussie convention?

No, Julian does one better and has written a complete replacement for the built in doors and windows.

It is called WinDoor and is avialable to anyone with a few dollars to spare.

http://www.ozcad.com.au/otherproducts/vwaddonsWD.html

It is not cheap, but even for a large office, it might be worth the cost for increased flexibility and productivity.

Pat

Here's another plug for WinDoor: It's much nore flexible than the native window & door PIOs, especially if you want to mull together multiple units in one rough opening, and Julian is highly responsive to user feedback. For architectural use I think it's a bargain.

WinDoor also allows you to specify whether the lines indicating swing converge on the hinge or the latch side, and with the new version Julian added the ability to display loci at the rough opening so that you can dimension to the RO in plan...