Sign in to follow this  
Christiaan

Window PIO: tilt n turn

Question

We'd like support for Tilt n Turn windows with regard to showing 3D hinge direction, especially as these are the most common window we use. (or maybe even some way to customise the PIO for any window configuration).

We currently use the following to indicate a tilt n turn:

tilt-n-turn_window.png

23 answers to this question

Actually I've got that wrong, it should look like this, as it tilts from the sill not the head. "The sash is operated by a single handle which incorporates two functions: inward opening to 90?, for safe cleaning; inward tilting, from cill, to create a ventilation gap at the head."

Edited by Christiaan

The other one we'd like to see support for is fully reversible. "The sash can be rotated by up to 170? to allow cleaning from the inside. A safety restrictor is triggered when the window is open to 5cm. When this is disengaged, the window can be reversed to the cleaning position where an automatic catch keeps the window in place.

Just out of curiosity, do the dotted lines represent opening inwards?

No, just direction and operation type Ian. Typically one would either note inward or outward opening separately or ask the reader to refer to plans.

Not sure if i understand what you're talking about, but here in Belgium, we use a dotted line for inward and a solid line for outwards in frontview.

I'm pretty sure that that's a universal standard.

Edited by maarten.

I had only seen the solid line representation until Christiaans post and wondered if this was the case.

I see, , maybe I was in the loo for that draughting lesson? The offices I've worked for have always used dotted lines.

Nice idea though. Think we'll adopt that.

I note the window tool doesn't use this convention... not that VW tends to be an authority on anything like this.

As an aside, I've always used an "F" to indicate a fixed pane. Is this what you use?

I've always used dashed lines, with additional annotation if a window opens in, which is rare for us. For fixed panes we use "F" and "T" for toughened.

We use dashed lines whether they swing in or out - must be a UK thing. Maybe there's a convention, but I've never come across it.

The rest of Europe has a different convention for where the hinge is too - in the UK the lines converge on the hinge - I believe it's the opposite on the continent. No idea about the US ;-)

Pretty sure from memory we only use dashed lines in NZ too.

Have to say I find the continental take on which direction the lines are drawn far more intuitive.

Chiming in from the archaic side of the Atlantic Ocean, the conventions are as in UK, i.e. dashed line for all and point at hinge.

Gytis, I believe it is just the UK and the USA that use the triangle pointing towards the hinge convention. To my knowledge the rest of the world uses the opposite (more logical in my view) convention.

To my knowledge the rest of the world uses the opposite (more logical in my view) convention.

Well at least we have a companion, unlike with our primitive standard of measure.

I, too, find the door triangle more logical as the rest of the world uses it. Still to this day, I have to fairly consciously contradict my instinct.

Gytis, I believe it is just the UK and the USA that use the triangle pointing towards the hinge convention. To my knowledge the rest of the world uses the opposite (more logical in my view) convention.

No, NZ and Aus draw the point to the hinge.

Christiaan I'll stand corrected then on my belief that the rest of the world uses the triangle apex at the latch or European protocol. If New Zealand uses the opposite protocol then they are different to Australia because we use the European protocol.

Hehe, well there goes my assumption that the Aussies and Kiwis do it the same way. Should have guessed given that you posted it!

As an aside, does the Australian distributor modify the window and door plugins to suit the Aussie convention?

I doubt that, as far as i know, the distributors can only translate the pio's parameters and dialogs, they can not change any of the code because it's locked.

I doubt that, as far as i know, the distributors can only translate the pio's parameters and dialogs, they can not change any of the code because it's locked.

Right, well that puts paid to Mike's persistent claim that VW is freely customisable:

Country distributors are free to add customisation and local content as they see fit.

As an aside, does the Australian distributor modify the window and door plugins to suit the Aussie convention?

No, Julian does one better and has written a complete replacement for the built in doors and windows.

It is called WinDoor and is avialable to anyone with a few dollars to spare.

http://www.ozcad.com.au/otherproducts/vwaddonsWD.html

It is not cheap, but even for a large office, it might be worth the cost for increased flexibility and productivity.

Pat

Here's another plug for WinDoor: It's much nore flexible than the native window & door PIOs, especially if you want to mull together multiple units in one rough opening, and Julian is highly responsive to user feedback. For architectural use I think it's a bargain.

WinDoor also allows you to specify whether the lines indicating swing converge on the hinge or the latch side, and with the new version Julian added the ability to display loci at the rough opening so that you can dimension to the RO in plan...