PDF PRINTING

spa_dup1

Question

I am experiencing strange output when printing to PDF printers. My files grow for example 575kb to 8.4mb. I am converting VW 12 files on PC xp home 3Ghz duo to PDF. Did anyone experience similar problems and have an advice on the good PDF printer or knows how to resolve it.

Kind regards

SPA

16 answers to this question

If you are using Adobe PDF, first create a custom page size, likable to the arch d sheet size. Then, select the custom page size as the paper size in the Print Setup/Page Setup menu.

In the print dialog box, rather than selecting Arch D as the paper size, set the paper size to One Page - this will ensure it prints on one page, rather than several letter size sheets.

Katie:

Is there a maximum page size in Vectorworks? Printing an ArchD drawing is no problem, but I'm trying to print one that's 24" high by 135" wide. I follow the instructions in your post, but I don't see a paper size option in the print dialog. I selected One Page in the Set Print Area dialog, but if I try to change the page size to 24x135, it changes itself back to 24x125. If I don't try to change it, it just prints one 8.5x11 page of the drawing. Can you help, please?

Yes, there's a limitation and it depends on the DPI and sheet size length. The limitation is one of the PC, not VectorWorks.

If you need to print something 135" in length, you will need to reduce the dpi to a lower value in order to print that length.

It's in the "printer" preferences.

When go to File Print, go through properties and see if you can find the DPI setting. If not, refer to the Adobe help file as this is an Adobe printing question.

Okay - I'm confused.

By the previous post I thought you were referring to the rough lines as showing in the PDF.

Does the quality look fine in the PDF by bad on the print out?

Sorry, In Document Preferences, it is set for normal resolution and 72 DPI for printing. No? I figured this was ok since it is a default.

No, as Katie said, you need to up the size of your DPI for printing. To at least 300 DPI. 72 DPI is for viewing on screen.

You're also going to have to create a custom page size and use that, as Katie mentioned.

I spoke too soon. Setting up the custom page gives me a small image on a 24x36 PDF page.

My settings: Doc settings: Print: 300DPI

Doc set up: layer scale 1:1

Page setup: 1 page horiz and vert.

Check boz:"page unavailable in printer set up", width 36, height 24

Print sequence: PDF995, size Arch D, Landscape.

Am I doing somthing obviously wrong? Thanks!