What is symbol referencing?

Anybody else use it? I think I found a nasty glitch. Hopefully somebody can verify...

In one drawing, use Resource Browser to access a symbol folder of another drawing (e.g., your symbol library). Highlight a symbol and, instead of import, reference it. Then go back to your drawing's referenced symbol in the RP (where it appears in italics) and break the reference. Now it's like having the symbol imported, but you can't import any other symbols from that file! The option for Import is globally greyed out! It's broken for all symbols! Relaunch or restart doesn't help.

This seems to occur only between the two drawings. Or am I missing something?

Yes, of course. There's always drag and drop. I've gotten too used to holding the option key and collecting all my necessary symbols in one fell swoop. Now with the new "reference" option, which is broken, I'll have to be especially careful not to touch it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ken,

This is working as designed, and it is very similar to how things worked in VW 11. When you have a reference to a file, the Import command is disabled for resources in that file, but the Reference command is active. In VW 11 and earlier, there was only an Import command. If you had a reference to a file, when you clicked on Import for a resource from that file, it would not import the resource, it would reference it. If you want to be able to import resources from a file instead of referencing them, you can go to the Workgroup References dialog and delete that reference. Or you can Reference a resource and then Break Reference, as you did for one resource.