Visual Cues for Lines

M_Fedoruk

Question

Can we bring back, at least in the form of an option or toggle, the old ability of Vectorworks to show selection handles for individual lines even when the end points of multiple lines meet. Older versions of minicad and Vectorworks showed this as the endpoint handle for each line chosen was slightly offset. Currently in VW12 only one endpoint is shown if the endpoints meet.

(there! I made my wish!)

3 answers to this question

this makes absolute sense, and things are not getting any better in version 2008.

why could this be?! i frankly don't understand.

it is appreciated that the selection process becomes more precise and with more options, but it is equally important to keep the features that are basic and proven good.

in VW2008 i find now that regardless if an object or multiple objects are selected, as long as you see the handles you can no longer drag (move) objects by end points or center points, you can only stretch them.

before, even in 12.5.3 you would offset the cursor slightly from the point to get the 'cross' cursor to move it instead of the 'diagonal arrow' cursor to stretch it.

being able to work in this way is crucial to my way of operating with the program.

am i missing something? is there any trick that i'm missing?

VectorWorks 2008 now has selection highlighting that replaces the need for offset selection handles.

http://www.nemetschek.net/fundamentals/new2008.php?feature=interface

In my opinion this is a huge improvement on offset selection handles. There is also a new mode for the 2D selection tool that turns interactive scaling (stretching) off if more than one object is selected. Benson has an excellent suggestion of using the "u" key to toggle the modes for the 2D selection tool.

I've added a screen shot of object highlighting to see which lines are selected.