.vso ? .vst ?.vsm files ?

How do I access the Plug-in files, VW tells me that I can't open or import them, and I can't see them displayed in the workspace. They look like they could be really useful to me. So, for instance if I do an 'Open' all the files in the plug-ins folder are grayed-out, the same goes if I try an 'Import', and I'll get an error message if simply double-click these files.

Another issue I have is the browser-based VW Help ? the 'links' just hang (at least, they do in Safari).

Edited by dunsterville

Those little snipets of code are very specific procedures that do wonderful & important things using the VW Libraries. They are accessible via Workspace Editor> Tools ( drag them onto palettes or create new palettes ). They are also useable via the Plugin Editor. And with a little practise you can even write your own scripts ( there are examples at www.vectordepot.com ).

As I recall with Safari , due to security & Java issues check your permissions then restart. There's no actual problem endemic to Safari & VW Help. It appers to be an OS issue of protections.

The plugins in the plugins folder inside the VW folder are all tools and menu items that VectorWorks already has. For example, the door.vso item is the door tool. Most of these items already exist in one or the other workspaces, but you can use the workspace editor to add the ones that may not currently exist in your workspace.

• 16 years later...

The three types of plug-ins are menu commands (.vsm), tools (.vst), and objects (.vso).

1) Best practice is to close Vectorworks and copy the plugin items (.vsm, .vst, .vsm) to your User Plugins folder: 

Windows: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\<version>\Plug-Ins
Mac: /Users/<Username>/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/<version>/Plug-Ins

2) Open Vectorworks and add the command / tool / object to your current Workspace using the Workspace Editor.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 3