Wall style textures don't update

I create a wall style, make some walls, then edit the textures of the wall styles and the walls in the drawing don't update to the new values.

From the manual, "Editing Wall Styles:":

"If walls with that style already exist in the drawing, the Wall Replacement dialog box opens."

It doesn't, and I have to manually modify the textures in my existing walls.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is a workaround?

Hi Pete, Yeah this is a little strange (IOW you probably aren't to blame). In 12.0.1 there is new option in the wall pref's. If you click on EDIT you'll see a "use class attributes" button. Check it. Set the wall(s) to a discreet (user created) class. Go to the class set up for that class and set the the wall textures as desired. HTH's :-)

I must be missing something here. I create a class to give my new walls a pattern. I draw an unstyled wall in that class and there is no pattern.

Even though I have patterns set in my classes, all of my walls are void of any pattern. VW11 handled this fine. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Peter, thanks for that advice - I was hoping we wouldn't have to go there, since creating classes plays havoc with visibilities (less so with the new visibility management tools!). I wonder if this is a bug, since the manual seems to say that the dialog-box mediated updating should occur.

Kevin, it may be that you have not checked "Use at creation" in your class attributes dialog.

Well, I've actually been confused & re-confused by this issue. I think, (although at this point I'm really not certain) that the *intent* is to be able to assign textures to walls via either method (classes or styles). But because I've had problems with the the latter (stlyes) I made a personal choice to use the former (classes). This also allows me to use the VP class overrides which is probably the most powerful new feature. Here's an example: I can create fully modeled building with bright red siding for client presentations. But red prints way too dark for B & W printing. All I have to do is use the VP class overrides in my elevation VP's and I can change the siding from red to white (or gray) which is very printer-friendly. This furthers my quest to derive all 2d working drawings from 3d models. It works like a charm, although admittedley takes a bit of getting used to.

Well the program is now acting properly. The walls are finally showing the class pattern.

I wish that I could say what changed. I just kept toggling things on and off and finally it "took".

I reminds me of a car that is hard to start. Keep turning the key enough and it will finally start.

Thanks to all for your help.