Printing Fills to Canon CLC3200

ff1

Question

VW12.0.1 on iMac G5 OSX 10.4. When printing a drawing using fills the pattterns do not print correctly on a Canon CLC3200 colour lazer printer - i.e. fills print as shades of solid colours but diagonal patterns, cross hatches and dotted fills are not visible. Printing resolution in Doc Prefs is set to default 72dpi.

Also, it is not possible to print transparent layers (print as solid), whereas this works fine on an inkjet printer. Any solutions?

8 answers to this question

Thanks Christiaan, but no luck - I'd already experimented with the printing resolution with no luck. The same problem occurs printing to our Oc? large format B+W plotter - shades but no fill patterns.

Your PDF approach reveals an interesting aspect however - the PDF appears to have only solid colours also, until one zooms in to say 500% and there the patterned fill are! But they are such a fine resolution that they print out like solid colours - even on a 1200dpi laser printer.

I'd be sorry to loose the ability to use these fill patterns, particularly as they are in many drawings created before upgrading to VW12. Anyone got any further suggestions?

Clc3200 and Oce plotter not fully supported by Gimp printers, so we'd loose a lot of functions for these machines. I was hoping that a solution within VW was possible, as it looks to be due to some change introduced in version 12.

Very good Christiaan - turning Quartz Imaging OFF results in printing fill patterns correctly. Interesting to see that with Quartz on and anti-aliasing off it is possible to achieve transparency (for "overlay" layers), but fill patterns are lost. Transparency also works with anti-aliasing on but not as well.

In general we'll turn Quartz Imaging off, which gives us fill patterns and much quicker printing! Thanks for your help.

As a follow up, in looking in the manual to see what the purpose of Quartz Imaging is, I noticed the following info for Mac users: In the Print dialogue box select Vectorworks in the drag down menu and select "Enable special processing for transparent color bitmaps" - this allows transparent overlay layers to print on a Postscript printer.