Adobe Acrobat 7.0 problem

eric.rktek

Question

I have run into a problem printing with Adobe Acrobat 7.0 and want to see if anyone else has run into this. When I go to print a VW sheet, I can select the Acrobat Printer, but the pull down menu does not have the typical PDF Options under the pull down menu. When I hit print, it immediately starts spooling the print file with out asking me for a file name or location. It only appears to be doing this on VW documents. I checked other files, Word, Firefox, etc, and they seem to print fine from the pdf printer. I tried printing on two different machines, and they both responded the same way in the specific VW file, and were fine with other docs. I'm on a G5 mac, X.4.6 system software. I tried rebooting the machine, and reinstalling the printer driver with no luck. I tried using the mac print to pdf button in the meantime, only to find that it did a bad job with the graphics in the file. Any help is appreciated.

7 answers to this question

I used that, but the resolution wasn't satisfactory. I was able to use the "save as postscript" and control the conversion through Acrobat Distiller. It just seems wierd though. I managed to pin down the fact that I only have the problem with certain files in VW. Some files have all the print options working fine, with other having the problem- open at the same time. I'm not sure if it is a font issue, or if it is related to files that came from original VW 11 files,etc.

Not sure if this helps but make sure you check the dpi on the sheets within vectworks as this will affect resolution. I use Acro 7 on a PC and always print to the PDF writer as a printer. I'm able to control sheet size and resolution within Acrobat.

I used that, but the resolution wasn't satisfactory. I was able to use the "save as postscript" and control the conversion through Acrobat Distiller.

What you can do instead, after creating a postscript file, is open it in Preview.app and then save it as a PDF (probably easier than Disteller).

Doesn't solve your root problem but may solve your immediate problem.

Distiller works well because I have the option to choose the level of compression, etc. that I want to use to make the pdf (which is what I usually can do from the Print dialogue). I'm going to try a little experimenting with a few files to see if I can isolate the cause of the problem further. Thanks for the suggestions in the meantime though.