Door PIO insertion point

Ken

Often I want to insert a door at the hinge point.

For example, I want a 28" door exactly 4" from a wall corner regardless of the finishing trim that gets installed later. What can be so common. That means the latch should be 28" from the hinge, also regardless of trim width (interior decorative casing style). So choosing the door plug-in tool, I can have Align Object Left instead of Align Object Origin. But that only inserts the door at the extreme edge of whatever trim is arbitrarily chosen to start! When I change it later, the location is screwed. Why can't the insertion point be at the hinge? What am I missing?

Same trouble for entry door with sidelite, where I would want to adjust the size of the sidelite later.

Then they don't take up each different wall's thickness. And the "trim" (either exterior or interior) cuts into the wall opening! Clearly worse of all worlds. Or am I still missing something?

Or do you have some trick that you're not saying?

Have you tried inserting the door using the "offset insertion mode"?. All you need to do is select that mode prior to installing the door in the wall, then click the corner nearest the door location, click within the wall to insert the door at which point a dialogue box opens and you can specify an offset from the corner. Simple as adding the required offset amount to 1/2 the door width.

• 2 weeks later...

Nonsense! Faster yet is just using floating datum. It seems few people take advantage of it. Offset insertion mode, on the other hand, requires an extra key press to change the mode (or mouse click), then another click to start the reference, then you finally get to insert the symbol or PIO. Repeat a thousand times. Floating datum is way faster.

However, the insertion point for the door PIO is still the center! Therefore mental or pencil-on-paper arithmetic is still necessary (dividing door size in half, then adding the desired distance from wall corner)! Still no good!

D Wood

Relax. Take a deep breath. I don't think your reprimand of my contributions is any wiser. In fact, you're simply reading it all wrong. "Nonsense" describes the method as suggested, which didn't address the topic. It's not a dismissal of anyone's contribution for crying out loud. Perhaps you need to take a break from the forums or cut down on that caffeine?

Arch.Ken I was just lamenting about the same thing the other day. Often doors are placed 4" from the corner of the wall. Using the offset insertion mode was not helpful because as you said you have to do a little bit of math. I have some other softwares at home that I've tinkered with. 3D Arthitect, and Punch Home Architect, both under $300, and both do this function just fine.

The Offset Insertion Mode works fine for inserting doors and windows into walls accurately by a desired point of the PIO. Relocating them afterwards via the Position button on the OIP is a pain because it only gives you the distance to the centre of the PIO. As Arch.Ken has pointed out you should be able to reposition them afterwards by whichever edge you want. Having this option would make the program more user friendly.

I didn't realize when I posted that your time was so precious as to not be able to perform an extra step to insert the a PIO, or that you have difficulty with basic math. My sincerest apologies.

LOL. Nice, Trevor! You would prefer to toil in extra steps when they're not necessary -- and perform basic math over and over. I prefer to use my mind more creatively! Thanks, everyone, for keeping this topic fresh. I knew it must be something that needs improvement.

At OVE we are production plan service using several types of CAD systems...VW being the latest. What we have found to be similar in all of our systems is that we insert the door without the trim defined. Once inserted to the correct position it is a minor step to edit the doors later. We have found...however that we set up our doors and windows for that matter to have as little data as possible so as to achieve a true and correct install to the rough size of the unit. This way when we frame our walls the studs fall to the correct opening on the rough. We have found it a major pain to add trim before the insert and achieve the correct rough opening dimensions allowing for proper clearance from inside corners. When we show a symbol on the condocs it is a true reflection of what will be built with all dimensional data extremly accurate.

Use a line as an offset that crosses through the wall thickness. Insert the window or door. Drag the door to the offset either to the outside of the jam for the R.O. or the inside for clear opening. Oops, forth step, delete the line. Setting up the offset before the insertion take several steps to! A dimension can be used to snap to as well.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that creating a guideline, then inserting the PIO, then dragging it into place, then deleting the guideline is the best work around for now. How archaic. I'm glad you mentioned *jambs* and the resulting rough opening vs. clear opening issue. I think PIOs are just missing the all-important "Insert At Start Of Clear Opening" feature.