STOP RENDER button

grant_PD

Question

I'd like a better way to stop a render. I try escape and ctrl-. But on my PC I almost always have to shut the program down to stop an intensive render. It's the more complex models where I really need to stop a render if things aren't great, and it seems as if VW can't deal with the stop.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In VW 2016, you should almost never have to press ESC to stop a rendering in design layers. All tools and menus are available, and if you choose any of them the rendering is automatically canceled. This is new for 2016, in 2015 and earlier versions you had press ESC to stop rendering but now no more.

Also in Fast RW render mode you will see Fullscreen Preview, which allows you to make quicker decisions about the scene. Fullscreen Preview can be turned on for Custom RW mode and for RW Styles.

Beside there may be some reasons to not use Viewports for Camera Views/Renderings

or that they don't solve all limits ....

Workflow :

You do some modeling, want to make coffee and a break - you start a RW View Rendering

just for fun. You come back and see :

Oh, what a beautiful rendering - I should save that to show it to my customer

(Without any arbitrary text messages, mouse over selection highlight or

scross hair cursor traces)

Oh, as I watch that rendering already on my screen, I think I should edit some of the

Materials, watch again, some Material Class assignments, watch again, some ...

without loosing the image > before I start a new rendering to watch the results of

my changes.

So a RW Rendering can take some time, so has some Worth, and should not be

destroyed anyway else but by the user.

If you knew before that you want to do a Rendering for certain purposes and not just

for fun, you had better chosen the "Render Bitmap Tool".

But I don't know how to save a bitmap done by that tool ?

Especially that I can set higher DPI Values than I can see on screen or be able to save

by taking a screen shot.

Render Bitmap Tool could be the solution to save Renderings at a custom Pixel Resolution

out of VW when :

- able to save that Image to a file

- able to choose the Image File Format of choice

- able to not only have a manual Marquee but can use Crop or Camera Crop

- able to not use DPI but Pixel Settings

(DPI ist just a useless density setting, but no quality setting and does not show any units

or dimensions, as long as you don't know the final presentation/printing size. It doesn't

make sense to measure a Camera View in meters)