STOP RENDER button

grant_PD

Question

I'd like a better way to stop a render. I try escape and ctrl-. But on my PC I almost always have to shut the program down to stop an intensive render. It's the more complex models where I really need to stop a render if things aren't great, and it seems as if VW can't deal with the stop.

I agree 100%

It's certainly been a hit and miss affair with me to cancel any hidden line rendering I want to stop over the years.

Got so bad I expect to force quit instead and always save the file before I execute hidden line render view.

Needs to work just like "escape" does in Photoshop, virtually straight away.

Alan

It often takes a while for VW to respond to the escape key, but on 2008, whilst it sometimes says 'not responding', after leaving it for a while (cup of tea time), its never failed to recover from this.

However, I would prefer something a bit more responsive.

I would also like to extend this request to a 'stop scrolling' request too. If im using tilt on the mouse wheel to scroll sideways, I often overshoot by some way and it would be nice to be able to stop this. Even better would be to detect multiple requests for a scroll step and bundle them into a single larger increment. I guess in the mean time I should learn to use the windows slider.

Got my vote too! A quick, functional "Kill Process" would be very nice.

Bill, not wishing to go against my usual "Negative" Grumpy Old Man status, but there has been a render status bar up in the right hand corner of the screen for as long as i can remember.

Exit Symbol/Done button turns into the rendering progress status bar every time i hit "Shift/Option/G" in the case of OpenGL or any other click/key combo to render.

Maybe that's been considered superfluous in 2009, but i think 08 had it.

Just adding to the "Cat/Flying Rat" syndrome.

:)

Edited by AndiACD
I guess in the mean time I should learn to use the windows slider.

Or the pan tool(quick and easy) . . :)

But you really have got a point here. Every other App i use with the scroll button on my mouse responds according to the pressure i apply. Including this web site(so it's not beyond the PTB).

VW skits off into the next galaxy regardless of how much i try to slow it down in the prefs.

I am using 2013, I have problems with stopping renders. I prepared everything in my sheet layer and now just before I tried to export as image I realised there was a change which needed updating so the whole thing started to re render as I pressed the save button. Now I cannot stop the render. I found this same problem when trying a batch render. I cannot stop the render if the batch is unsatisfactory after viewing the first of 10 pages in acrobat. I have to resort to FORCE QUIT and lose any unsaved changes and have to remember which changes were unsaved. In a complex drawing this is another nightmare.

Surely having to resort to Force Quitting the application cannot be the way forward ? It can't be good practice. Please please give us an easy way to cease rendering.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

At the moment I have found that if Esc Esc isn't working to stop a design layer render, often tabbing out of the application, then tabbing back in (Making Vectorworks inactive, then active again) I am then able to stop the render as expected.

I haven't been able to pin down exactly what causes this, it is inconsistent. I have seen the behavior sporadically on both Mac and Windows.

a related wishlist item: pause render

Actually I don't think I have submitted one for that yet... obvious feature though it may be. Submitting request now.

However, I checked on Cinema4D as well (We use their rendering engine for Renderworks, Cinerender from MAXON) and it looks like there are only workarounds for how to pause a rendering, not a built in way to do it. So it may not be possible until it is supported in the base engine from them.

Thanks for your reply JimW.

One of the most frustrating things about working in VW is how often it locks up, there are many different scenarios that create a lock up. Another example is navigating through a viewport into the design layer when for example hidden line is selected in the overrides Obj Info Palette. The screen freezes and I have no control over anything until it decides to free itself and complete the hidden line render, then I can try and switch to Wireframe ( of course I forgot to switch before I went in to the design layer). I am not sure why this has to be so.

It is not easy to stop programming processes once they are started in more than a few instances. It should be easy.

As far as I know C4d doesn't lock up, or freeze when it's going through rendering processes it is organised with total user control, you can render to a separate render viewer where renders can easily be stopped, it feels much smoother. I wonder if it is programmed more robustly and if there is a way of making VW feel smoother, less liable to cost you a valuable hour redrawing or a disappointing dead end staring at a spinning circle.

Sometimes VW feels like a minefield, it should be like a finely tuned instrument ! every day I get a nasty surprise when I should be getting pleasant satisfaction, it makes for an unrewarding working experience.

An easy way of stopping the program freezing would be a great help.

Even with a Stop Button, RW would still be a nightmare for me.

The Problem is not to stop the Rendering, the ESC+ESC works a little bit more

reliable now in 2016.

The Problem is that VW always starts a Re-Render of the View Window for nothing.

That may have made sense in times before OpenGL where people used a Hidden Line

Mode or similar CPU rendering method work in a 3D kind of shaded mode to

understand their drawings.

It is completely senseless for RW Modes, that easily can take some 20 minutes in screen

resolution. I want to be able to switch that auto redraw completely.

I want to look at my rendered image when I manipulate my materials.

And it is not only that VW re-renders when you change any setting used by the rendering.

Change an other RW Render Style, Sky, Material, .... not used in the rendering ...

-> Boom, re-render

Same if you switch to another App like Mail/Safari, in 60%, -> Boom, re-render.

Or switch Layer/Class visibility, or change between cameras.

Sometimes VW switches by itself to RW Custom - a mode I never use.

Sometimes the Render Mode Drop Down shows not the current Render Mode.

Preparing Geometry for C4D render Engine export can take many minutes for large files.

And there isn't any feedback or bar from VW if it started to render or not.

I can see, if I look carefully in OS X activity monitor, that there may be one of 12 HT cores

working - which means that VW may be rendering something.

And millions of other things that drive me crazy.

Nothing against your Stop Button wish.

But don't forget to give me a Render START Button please.

Even with a Stop Button, RW would still be a nightmare for me.

The Problem is not to stop the Rendering, the ESC+ESC works a little bit more

reliable now in 2016.

The Problem is that VW always starts a Re-Render of the View Window for nothing.

That may have made sense in times before OpenGL where people used a Hidden Line

Mode or similar CPU rendering method work in a 3D kind of shaded mode to

understand their drawings.

It is completely senseless for RW Modes, that easily can take some 20 minutes in screen

resolution. I want to be able to switch that auto redraw completely.

I want to look at my rendered image when I manipulate my materials.

And it is not only that VW re-renders when you change any setting used by the rendering.

Change an other RW Render Style, Sky, Material, .... not used in the rendering ...

-> Boom, re-render

Same if you switch to another App like Mail/Safari, in 60%, -> Boom, re-render.

Or switch Layer/Class visibility, or change between cameras.

Sometimes VW switches by itself to RW Custom - a mode I never use.

Sometimes the Render Mode Drop Down shows not the current Render Mode.

Preparing Geometry for C4D render Engine export can take many minutes for large files.

And there isn't any feedback or bar from VW if it started to render or not.

I can see, if I look carefully in OS X activity monitor, that there may be one of 12 HT cores

working - which means that VW may be rendering something.

And millions of other things that drive me crazy.

Nothing against your Stop Button wish.

But don't forget to give me a Render START Button please.

@zoomer: I am guessing that most of your 'uncontrollable re-rendering' issues are caused by using RW modes other than OpenGL on Design Layers. From previous threads I know that this is not your workflow, but using RW Styles with SLVPs would reduce some of your frustrations.

I no longer render in the Design Layer since I use a 4k display and it increases the design layer DPI so high that renderings take unnecessarily long for the quality i need, I use SLVPs almost exclusively. However, the only times I can't stop 2016 during a render is in the middle of an Edges phase, otherwise it stops immediately.

Automatic re-render is a preference though, its possible to set it to Always Do this action, which if you think that might be what you've done, Always Do actions can be reset in Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Session > Reset Saved Settings, check the second checkbox and click OK.