Vectorworks 12 & Norton Antivirus

Hi Guys,

I have got few Vectorworks client in my network and they keeps scanning the ports of the user PC:s at the same network????

Any help about this??

This is very important for me because I absolutely refuse this type of software if there are no ways of taking it away/fixing the problem!!

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Why is that?

How about blocking vectorworks??

I am not interested of changing Norton settings!

I am interested of changing or disabling vectorworks settings!!

It would be really nice to know why vectorworks is scanning the network??

Is there some good reason or is it an amateur work of protection??

grin.gifgrin.gif

Edited by elf06

I am not interested of changing Norton settings!

Why not?

Sorry, but is that not why you have these options in Norton's for, to change them to suit the situation. This is part of the functionality of the program, to allow those that require access to do so and to block the ones that are trying but shouldn't.

As said before, I'm sure it's nothing more sinister than just VW checking to ensure licenses are being used correctly.

Alan

Don't you think it's too much after all that dongle crap??

Which looses once a while it's drivers!!

Do you fell good when some application is all the time stealing your network resources by scanning your network??

Come on peoples!!

I want to take that scanning away not to discuss about how to accept it!!

Because I do not accept that!!

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

You could make a start by suggesting a way that NNA, with multi user licensed sites, can ensure licenses are not used illegally.

But, at the same time it still gives the VW users the flexability to start the program with VW seeking out and using any available license rather than have to have a specific license per specific workstation scenario.

By the way out of interest, just how much and how serious is the amount of network resources VW is "stealing" from your network anyway? What are the reprocussions ?

Alan

I do not think it's such a big problem for network resources but it is for users who have to watch that pop-up of Norton which informs about the blockings.

And who are not aloud to change settings of the Antivirus software!

The pop-up can of course be disabled but that is not the solution!

I respect the privacy!

I expect that Nemetschek takes care of this by fixing it not telling to people how to accept it!

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

But, at the same time it still gives the VW users the flexability to start the program with VW seeking out and using any available license rather than have to have a specific license per specific workstation scenario.

In this scenario each specific work station doesn't need which serials the other works stations are using, instead the server only needs to know which ones it has dished out already.

In this scenario each specific work station doesn't need which serials the other works stations are using, instead the server only needs to know which ones it has dished out already.

That's what I was describing, the allowance of a user to use any available license up to the number they have installed, VW looks to see what licenses are being used/already allocated, not the user, and is dynamically linked as opposed to specific license number linked to a specific workstation permanently.

It's this process of checking by VW that seems to upset the original poster and feels that VW should not be doing it.

And as I said, does he have an alternative method to allow NNA to keep its license agreement secure and free from misuse.

Alan

I absolutely do not understand this???

Vectorworks does not work without that bloody dongle!!

So,

Why is that checking network computers???

As long as I do have a dongle I do have rights to install it to even 100 PC's (desktop pc, laptop, home pc etc.).

All I need to do is simply move the dongle from machine to another.

I wonder what benefits nemetschek is having by scaning the network machines like an amateur hacker!!

So,

Please someone tell me how to stop that scaning, not how to do this and that to Norton.

Norton is doing it's job and doing it good!

Or explanations of why!

I like to keep my privacy and I do not like the softwares scaning my network!!

Like a stupid hacker who can not do it with out being catched!

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Yes, from elf06 last post that's clear now.

The first post did say "I have got few Vectorworks client in my network" and in that situation most people use a server set up, do they not? Is this not the best way to set up for multiple user use.

Anyway, I know and have installed software that checks for illegal use and it's not a problem for me, I don't think it's a case of it encroaching on my privacy but the software companies ensuring its property is being used correctly.

As a matter of course I block programs accessing the Internet unless I know its required for the program to function, but that's a different issue.

elf06 - the dongle is not used by all countries, it's very much down to the country you buy VW in and use.

So maybe what your experiencing is the "blanket" requirement built into the software supplied by NNA to protect it, with the dongle being required as additional security by your countrys distributor, as is the case in the UK, Added afterwards but without the other checking method able to be removed.

As I said, maybe.....

NNA will probably explain it better and will have their reasons which I'm sure are understandable.

Alan

As a matter of course I block programs accessing the Internet unless I know its required for the program to function, but that's a different issue.

I think that's elf's point. Profit-security has nothing to do with functionality of the product.

It may be a quaint concept but I don't think customers should be inconvienced by the software they purchase, especially by unauthorised network activity.

Many thanks Christian!

Many thanks for understanding what I really mean!

Yeah,

We do not have any server installation!

We have dongles for each user, as you guys know Vectorworks won't run with out that dongle.

So,

That is why we do not like this scanning, because we do not want to do changes to the Norton, we simply want to keep our network secure.

I hope nemetschek is going to do something about this problem!

Anyway,

I do not know if there are other ways of using Vectorworks in my country (EU), that also is possible that dealer has made some mistakes by seling us these dongles.

wink.gifwink.gif

Edited by elf06