looks more like Photoshop?

dunsterville

Question

VectorScript is obviously very powerful, I've had good results with it even with being a time-strapped one-man band, but I'll be learning it forever . . .

How about making a pallette/portal for VectorScript in the same way as Photoshop's "Actions" pallette works which remembers a sequence of clicks and paths, which would simplify a whole bunch of batch working?

Eg: Today's job of exporting a .DWG, a .DXF, and a .PDF of 114 VectorWorks files would have been a breeze.

As it stands, I tried setting up a VectorScript but I couldn't get it to remember which boxes should be ticked, etc. The same with Apple's "Automator".

Which leads me to the next:

Is "Automator" only for the interoperability of Apple products? If not, could there be a patch to make the most of it?

4 answers to this question

In the Applescript Dictionary for Vectorworks is DoScript() which lets you pass Vectorscript to be run on a file.

One of the automator actions lets you write your own Applescript to be included in a workflow, and can therefore include Vectorscript.

the draw back at the moment is getting information back from Vectorworks to trigger events in the Script or Workflow.

That said the action recorder you mentioned would be a great thing too.

As you've said, VectorScript is powerful, but as programming languages go, it's not exactly the cutting edge. Nor, as the manual admits, is it much good for integration with other apps.

All things considered, I'd much rather have a well written VectorWorks AppleScript dictionary than VectorScript. Using Automator and AppleScript as a unified interface for controlling sleek, lean, elegant applications and their interaction is ultimately much more satisfactory than having each app try to be all things to all people. And AppleScript offers the possibility of developing a complete, custom interface to drive and coordinate the activities of any number of applications.

Still, VectorWorks is a great working environment, and I'm not finding VectorScript difficult to learn. And of course better AppleScript support wouldn't do Windows users a bit of good.

-Bryan