Duplicate along path and VW12

I just got my eval version of VW12 and it looks interesting. We are currently using VW11.5 and we have always had an issue with Duplicate Along Path command which never seems to get fixed. It appears that it is still not fixed in VW12.

When you follow instructions and 'click on path' thats the point where the duplication starts not utilizing the complete path. Also, there seems to be no way to control what point on the 'path object' will follow the 'path, ie. corner, center, midpoint etc.

Just and aside...before I posted this I went to Search to see if any info has been posted and searched 'Duplicate along Path' and got know hits at all. I know for a fact I have posted some.

Thanks,

Tom in PA

In the meantime, could you use the divide line into segments tool from the advanced drafting tools? I take a line, add locus points but leaving the line intact and then do a point-to-point copy (a plugin) to paste the path object along the line.

Might work,

Jon

there seems to be no way to control what point on the 'path object' will follow the 'path, ie. corner, center, midpoint etc.

This is definitely something we'd like to have to.

Just and aside...before I posted this I went to Search to see if any info has been posted and searched 'Duplicate along Path' and got know hits at all. I know for a fact I have posted some.

These ones?

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB12&Number=29587

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthrea...=true#Post60473

I understand we can develop a workaround but this problem has existed for quite some time now and it still has not been addressed even in the new VW12 release. That's the point I am trying to make. Tools that don't work are useless.

Thanks,

Tom in PA

Design the tool so that the user places the object at the endpoint of the path in the orientation and at the "control point" desired. Then click on the path to produce the desired duplication. The initial object stays put, no "initial offset" is required because we are smart enough to construct a polyline with an endpoint where we want the first object to be.

There are a couple of positive things to say here

1. If you want your duplicates to go from beginning to end of the path - make sure that Start offset is set to 'distance' and '0' then it will go end to end.

(If you are draw path mode this is greyed out but still makes a difference - a bug - workaround by choosing the first mode and setting the distance to zero as above.

2. The duplicate object is place by its centroid

By adding a locus point to the duplicate object you can 'counterbalance the centroid' and thereby adjust the point that goes on the path (simply delete the locus afterwards)

If any of that doesn't make sense email me!

Another issue that comes up is if you set the number of duplicates the actual result is always one less. Set it for 5 duplicates and only 4 will be placed on the path.

I tried the 'locus and centroid' suggestion and it does not work for me. No matter where you put the locus the result is still the same. I tried unchecking 'tangent to path' also and it makes no difference.

All in all, a lot of bugs with this tool for a long time.

Thanks for all the input,

Tom in PA

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the tool works well; however, it did take a while to figure out how to use it properly.

Click on the point on the path where you want the first object to be located. For me, this is typically the beginning of the path.

As suggested in the previous post, it is the centroid of the duplicated object that is used as the insertion point.

I have always used the ?Click on Path Option? mode, I have not used the ?Create Path? mode. Be careful where you click; you can get very confusing results with random mouse clicks. It does take some trial and error to understand the various options, but the tool does work.

As stated above the tool does not work as designed. Look at the above post where the number of duplicates is wrong. This does not take any understanding of the tool use. I understand the 'Click on Path 'mode. The instructions say 'click on path', not where to start. Every other CAD and 3D program we use you 'click on path', just that easy.

I understand the centroid method of rotation, but there are no instructions anywhere on how to position the object for rotation.

All in all very poor instructions for an otherwise 'buggy' tool that is still not fixed, even in VW12.