CANNOT MULTIPLE SELECT

I am using 12.0.1 on an iMac G5. About 60% of the time I cannot select more than one object using the Shift key. Quitting the program, closing the file, or changing keyboards does not help. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, the eyedropper tool sometimes fails to work altogether....though that is a little less of a necessity.

Edited by newhus

There are a few things to try:

1. Restart the computer and see if the problem persists. If it does, simply running disk utility will fix the problem for a while, but will eventually come back.

2. Run Disk Utility if restarting the computer doesn't work.

3. If neither of these work, the user account is likely corrupted beyond repair. Create a new user and the problem should disappear.

I should note that this is a known issue in OS 10 and does occur in other applications. Apple's knowledge base has articles regarding this issue.

Thanks katie,

I've done all the things you suggested, including making a new user. Within 5 minutes of creating the new account I had the identical problem.

I've scoured the Apple support discussions trying to find anyone else with this problem, but have come up empty.

I had no idea how important the shift key is until it stopped working. Is there any other way to multiple select without the shift key (other than dragging the mouse old-school, which does not work for most situations). This is a big slow down.

I would contact apple directly if the problem cropped up that quickly using a new user account. There may be more to the problem than what's on the surface.