VectorWorks Supports Google? SketchUp? 3D Warehous

VectorWorks Supports Google? SketchUp? 3D Warehouse

Columbia, MD (May 2, 2006) ? Nemetschek North America announced today that the VectorWorks Design Series is compatible with content in the new Google? SketchUp? 3D Warehouse. All users of VectorWorks Architect, VectorWorks Landmark, VectorWorks Spotlight, and VectorWorks Designer version 12 have immediate access to the wealth of 3D content in this warehouse.

The 3D Warehouse is a digital warehouse for thousands of models that are available at no cost to VectorWorks Design Series users. VectorWorks users can directly import SKP models into their VectorWorks designs.

?SketchUp did a fantastic job of making 3D easy for everyone, and now?-as the interface for this new 3D Warehouse?-they?re going to make 3D objects easy for everyone to find and share,? says Sean Flaherty, Nemetschek North America chief executive officer. ?We plan to continue our compatibility work with SketchUp to make 3D models more accessible to VectorWorks users and will continue working to investigate new ways Nemetschek North America can participate in this exciting development. Since the VectorWorks Design Series can read native SketchUp files, the warehouse will open a vast container of content for VectorWorks users to tap into.?

For more information about the new Google SketchUp 3D Warehouse, visit the Google SketchUp website at: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

Nemetschek North America is a wholly-owned subsidiary of European software giant Nemetschek AG. A global leader in design technologies, Nemetschek N.A. has been developing CAD software for the AEC, entertainment, landscape design, and manufacturing fields since 1985. VectorWorks, its flagship product, is one of the world's best-selling cross-platform CAD applications. An all-in-one solution that's easier to learn and use and more cost-effective than most other CAD programs, VectorWorks is ideal for firms that don't have unlimited IT budgets. For more information, visit www.nemetschek.net

It may need to be added using the Workspace Editor.

I don't use Sketchup, but my installation of VW Arch 12.0.1 has a SketchUpReader.dll in the MAIN VW folder. It appears to have been added during the normal install process.

When I open the Workspace Editor in VW, the Sketchup Import is listed in the Menu list as a SEPARATE item towards the bottom of the list. It is NOT under the Import/Export section. If you find it here, you should be able drag it into the right pane & have it show up in VW.

See: http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthrea...age=1#Post59303

George

Vectorworks needs to quickly incorporate sketchup ease of modeling within the software, like AutoCad and other CAD programs are. This is a significant design issue, and it the wave of the future of Cad.

Significant aspects of Sketchup.

-Push/pull modeling

-ease of viewing the model

-Surface rendering

-Plane creation

These are but a few.

This is really a rich resource! Thank for this plugin.

However, I do need some help. When I download and convert the symbol I get a 100 or so individual symbols instead of one. I also only get one layer and everything goes to the class I have selected. This way I also loose the great colors.

I've downloaded some really nice desert trees and bushes but the conversion kills them.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

The program hasn't crashed until you get an error message. It's more likely that you need to be patient while all the information is being converted.