Is it possible to group across layers?

Hello everyone,

I have drawn a building across several layers, but I need to reposition it a lot at the moment. What I would like to do is to group its parts together so that I can move the whole building around. Is this possible?

It seems that if I select objects on different layers and group them then they all get collected on one layer - which I don't want...

Any thoughts?

thanks, Nick

No, Groups are objects like any other and must reside on a single layer.

You can use Move... or Move 3D... on all the selected components (without grouping) if you change the Layer Options to "Show/Snap/Modify Others". Don't forget to change it back when done.

HTH,

Raymond

Thanks for the thoughts.

Islandmon, doing it via a layer link is very neat, and works well, but I can't think how I can then present plans of the different layers in their new positions if they are contained within one linking layer? (if you see what I mean).

Also, in my building of duplex flats I want my flat symbol to contain both floors (layers) of the duplex. But I can't do that either can I? A symbol, like a group, can't bridge layers - and you can't turn a layerlink into a symbol...

This is all getting rather complicated for my mind, I'm just trying to keep editing my drawing as simple as possible. Perhaps I should just get back to work and stop worrying about this.

Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts,

Nick

Nick,

Are all the flats in the building Duplexes? If so, it might pay to ignore the concept of a layer being equal to one floor.

If you turn your 2 floor duplex into a symbol to simplify the drawing process, then why not use that 2 floor symbol as a "layer"? I occasionally have objects that exist on one layer and extend thru an opening in the layer above because I want to have it remain intact, rather than create stacked slices of it on different layers.

I try not to let the - layer = 1 Floor concept - override the way I want to work.

Re earlier post: I'm going to try to get an answer on that Hidden Line render problem with mirrored apt symbols tonight.

George

NickB,

I create a D-Layer for each Floor Plan & Site @ Page Center. Then create a linked Mod-Layer ( with scaling ) repositioning each Floor Plan to fit the site and then various Mod-Layers of the Mod-Layers as required. Then in ViewPorts show & hide the various Mod-Layers to produce the site plans.

This system has the benefit of ease of design & registration as well as site alignments & sectioning. All design takes place on the D-Layers whereas all site placements occur on the Mod-Layers.

Thanks for these ideas. I'm going to have to sit down and work through them and see how I get on.

George, your idea could be a good one, especially as I have seen a section viewport used to create a plan, thereby removing the need to see every floor as a layer.

Islandmon, I like the way this is going, but I'll need to make sure I'm comfortable with all of the Mod-Layers visibility control.

Thanks again,

Nick

Nick, if you set your layer options to Show/Snap/Modify Others you can select things across layers and move them with one command. Technically there isn't a need to put everything in a single group. A strategy to be certain you are selecting everthing properly: group the objects separately on each layer and assign the groups to a class like "My Building," then create a selection script "Select My Building." There are advantages to actually moving the objects as opposed to manipulating views of them.