Custom Titleblock-Record multiple lines of text

I am creating custom titleblock. A number of my entries require multiple lines of text. When i create record format and select text field i can only create a single line . I have added the # symbol to the field name and still cannot create a multi line field , it just appears as a straight line spaced out. Can anybody shed some light on this ???

• 8 months later...

Robert, actually, it is possible to get a record to format as "multi-line". I have done it by using a multi-line text block (not wrapped, but with hard returns) and attaching it as a record to the symbol. The trick is to get it edited in the data entry field. You have to be careful about how you replace the default text. In previous versions of VectorWorks, I would get a square symbol in the line of text (as viewed in the data entry portion of the OIP) that indicated a return. Since the program seems to recognize a return as part of a text string, it would be nice if the interface could be tweaked a bit to make this easier to use in practice.

Does the idea of a titleblock object similar to the lighting object sound like a good idea to any one? That way you could create a block object and have a manager like the label legend manager in Spotlight. You customize it several times in the same drawing just by having a diferent legend assigned. In the label legend you can tell the text to wrap and it will.

Can you clarify something? When you say "cannot create a multi line field, it just appears as a straight line spaced out" are you talking about the field in the record format, or the field in the title block itself? The default field in the record format will only appear as one line even with the # symbol appended to the field name.

Also, when the title block is first placed, you will only see one line of text (the default value from the record format) but when you edit the title block you will then be able to enter multiple lines of text in that field.

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

I kind of hijacked this thread so I will explain the situation as I am seeing it. I would like to have three or four lines in my title block to describe the project. When I saw the sentence I quoted from the User Guide, I assumed it to mean that if you place a field in the record format with a # sign appended to it, that will enable you to create multiple lines of text in the title block when you edit that field via the Object Info Palette.

What I cannot seem to accomplish is to actually produce the multiple lines of text in the title block. If you simply type text it has no idea when to wrap and if you try to place a carriage return (enter) you jump to the next field.

I thought that perhaps there was a secret way of forcing the text to go to another line (like CTRL-ENTER), but haven't found the secret. That is it in a large nutshell.

e block is first placed, you will only see one line of text (the default value from the record format) but when you edit the title block you will then be able to enter multiple lines of text in that field.

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

Tom,

I'm in the process of setting up new title blocks for the office and I'm having the same problem as above.

I have modified a standard title block;

placed it in Default folder;

chosen that block and placed it in my new Template file;

and I'm now setting up the fields in the block;

If I edit the title block IE:

choose Edit Title Block in the OIP;

and select one of the fields to edit,

I can't get it to make a carriage return at all, with or without the #.

Your quote seems to say that we should be able to.

Can you expand on this?

regards,

I use the Drawing Border PIO with a custom title block. When Edit Title Block is selected, the Drawing Title under the General tab allows lines of text separated with a carriage return return. I only use 2 because that is all of the space available in my custom title block.

So what is the solution here? I am still confused. I wasn't using the Drawing Border Tool. I just made a title block and placed it on a sheet layer. I don't really care one way or the other, I just thought the right way to do it was to use the append # when you wanted multi line text. Just following what I thought were pretty clear directions in the manual. I am not sure how to get an answer to this if I don't get it here. Maybe there are VW experts somewhere else I can ask. Got any ideas?