Sign in to follow this  
CJV

glowing objects

Does anyone have a good technique for creating a glowing object like a lamp with a frosted glass shade? I can get it to emit light nicely using the new area light tool, but I still can't manage to get the lamp itself to glow.

Thanks for any tips.

Try applying a Constant Reflectivity to the lamp.

you might also want to try an Eroded Transparency set very fine for the "frosted" bit

N.

You can get a nice effect by making a new Renderworks texture and setting Reflectivity: to Translucency and Bump: to Leather, Solid (with a point light in the middle)

Nick

Edited by NickB

Thanks. Both of these options are interesting. The only problem I have with putting a point light is that while it creates a nice gradated glow on the lamp itself, it seems to produce unnatural hot spots on the wall behind.

Radiosity rendering will help this. You may want to try FQ Radiosity to see what you get with the standard settings.

If you edit the texture and uncheck Cast Shadows I think it's ok in Final Quality RenderWorks it also seems to be okay in FQ Radiosity, though I don't really know much about that.

Edited by NickB