Mac Book Pro

I Purchased a new dual core 1.8mhz with 1.5 meg ram 15" laptop. It replaced a 1.33mhz powerbook wwith 2 meg ram.

It is a wonderful machine. Not only is the screen much better (brighter and greater resulation) but I found it to be faster in almost all applications. I have a 1.8 single processor G5 with a 23" apple cimema display 5.5megs of ram.

The laptop is almost twice as fast updating viewports rendering in hidden line. Some functions do not work see (http://kbase.nemetschek.net/index.php?ToDo=view&questId=91&catId=23). I have not experienced any speed loss actually quite the oppsite, it runs vector works faster then either the powerbook or the 1.8 work station. I noted that test show tested speed with a 1.8 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac. If these results are correct perhaps the IMac didn't have enough ram or there is more of a significant difference between the Imac and the Mac book Pro. I would urge vectorworks to patch the tools that do not work and not wait for a complete universal application.

We've got a MacBook Pro now too but it's back in the shop with a disc stuck in it, thanks to probable poor assembly:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=436243

It's also got a high pitch whining noise which has something to do with the dual-core processor but Apple Tech Support have so far fobbed my off on this one. See biggest thread I've ever seen on forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=374397

I am first time buyer and had been considering purchasinga MacBookPro 1.83 GHz but after reading the information on 'Technology Update: Rosetta Compatibility' I'm not sure if this would be a good purchase.

Would it be more trouble than its worth and should I look for a PC Windows laptop instead?

I have been using the Mac Book Pro for a week now and am still very impressed with this machine. It is quiet small light and very fast. I have no noise and no disk problems, I was told to by a service tech to stay away from reconditioned machines. The only problems that I am having are software. The only sofware that I use that I have a problem with is Vectorworks (I have used Word, Excel, and Photoshop this week enough to feel comfident with them). Vectorworks seems to work fine and fast except for the items on the list. In addition to that windows PIO is broken it is not just muntin size, the sash often appears above the frame etc. When I phoned tech support they told me that the window PIO worked except for muntin sizes. However once the file is reopened with the G5 the window opened with the imfo pallet and settings are clicked it will fix it self. Conversely if you click on a window symbol of a window PIO and open the settings pallet on the Mac Book Pro the sash will move up, if you undo it will be fixed. You can move window PIOs replace window PIOs etc. just don't open the setting box. The other issues on the VW tech are less important for me. Can we get a patch for the window plug in before the release of v 12.5?

I am first time buyer and had been considering purchasinga MacBookPro 1.83 GHz but after reading the information on 'Technology Update: Rosetta Compatibility' I'm not sure if this would be a good purchase.

Would it be more trouble than its worth and should I look for a PC Windows laptop instead?

If you get a MacBook Pro this won't be a problem because you can run Windows on MacBook Pros anyway, so you could run VW 12 on Windows until Nemetschek come out with a Intel Mac native version of Vectorworks and then go back to Mac OS X if you like (thanks to Nemetschek's foresight VW licences and install disks are cross platform).

On the actual hardware front, from my experience, I think Apple's hardware engineers may have been pressured into getting these machines out before they had all the problems ironed out so I'd be tempted to wait until the next revision of this hardware if you can. Then again there are many many people who are buying these machines who are very happy with them.

My advice, if you don't want to wait, would be to get one and be prepared to send it back within the 14-day return period and get a replacement if you're not happy. And just keep sending it back to be replaced until you are completely happy (your 14 days starts again every time you send it back).

Thank you for your replies. It's a hard decision and one that I need to make relatively quickly.

I am more familiar with using a PC but have been told by various work colleagues to go the Mac route.

I will be a realtive newcomer to VectorWorks too and the idea is to hone my skills outside of the workplace, I am just worried that the software difficulties may hamper my progress as I try to learn.

The MacBook Pro was my first choice until I started to do some research! Now I'm confused!

Or is it worth getting the MacBook Pro and Bootcamp and seeing how I get on?

Sorry to ask so many questions but all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by h2k6

Like I said, I'd go with the MacBook Pro and stick with Windows (via Bootcamp) until you are both comfortable with Mac OS X and Nemetschek have sorted a native version of Vectorworks. You just can't lose.

The only caveat is that you might get a machine with a hardware problem. To avoid this potential problem I'm suggesting you use the 14 day return period militantly until you are completely happy with the machine you have. i.e. don't load it up with software etc. and be prepared to keep sending back and demanding a replacement until you're happy.

See this thread for a reasonably good explanation of the whining issue I talked about, that some people are experiencing:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=2230890#2230890

The other issues I've experienced are getting DVDs stuck in the drive and now the fans are going full blast since we got it back from the repair centre.

If your budget can handle it I highly recommend that you go for the new 17" model too, for a number of reasons apart from the obvious bigger screen size. First off they may have had a chance to iron out some the potential issues with the 15" model. And in any case the larger size of the machine has many advantages in terms of heat dissipation, etc. and room for different components.

It actually has some pretty significant advantages over the 15" model:

1) Firewire 800 (this is as good as it gets) instead of Firewire 400.

2) Extra USB 2 port.

3) Dual layer burning capability, meaning you can burn 9 GB DVDs instead of only 4.5 GB.

4) 1680 x 1050 native resolution as opposed to 1440 x 900

5) And battery life is said to be 1 hour longer

And to top it off, if you go to the Apple Store online and custom configure options so they're similarly built the 15" actually costs more than the 17" model. I guess a price drop of the 15" model can be expected shortly.