adding complex solids

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What version of VW are you running? Waht platform Mac or Win? What is the memory configuration of your computer?

You may want to regenerate the solids you are trying to add/subtract/intersect by doing successive Edit Groups.

hi,

i've got latest version of vw architect. student version. ( although at my work its vw 7 and does the same thing) I'm on windows xp with a dual 1.8 athlon 1.5 gig. with a gfti4600. Is that what you menat by memory configuration?

I get the feeling. vw isn't up to it. Luckily archicad is to have full boolean operations added in version 8 so i'm leaving vw in the dust.It can't even export to viz 4 without messing up. And i'm hardly going to use renderworks or artlantis to render images am i!! I think vw needed to re appraise what exactly its cumstomers want to do.

• 8 months later...

I have the same problem and it's really becoming agrivating. [Mad] I use version 10 at school and 9.5.1 at home, both which have the same results. Is there anyway to clear the object's history so that it increases performance and response time? Thanks

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by 0XiDE:

I have the same problem and it's really becoming agrivating.
[Mad]
I use version 10 at school and 9.5.1 at home, both which have the same results. Is there anyway to clear the object's history so that it increases performance and response time? Thanks

HAHAH! [Razz] Have you finfished yet Alex? lol. ACK! Architecture comin up. [Mad] I am going to permanent Home Show at Southbank to get Leaflets and ideas. I am gonna make alot of my stuff using 3D modelling. I suggest you place you object in you house somewhere. Im doin it and so is Nic and maybe ohters. [Cool]-

• 1 month later...

First: never encountered the problem you described starting from version 9. It did happen in 8 and prior, but in my case nothing starting from 9.

Second: why would you want to use VIZ? There other options available. Consider C4D. There's a plugin that regulates data exchange, just like between ACAD and VIZ. VIZ is harder to learn/use, more expensive and has about the same options. No RPC-support, but that's about the only difference that could matter (and even in that case there are other solutions). Unless you extensively use organic geometry?

Third: If you really want to use VIZ, then what kind of export option are you using? DXF/DWG or IGES?

Cheers,

BaRa

• 2 weeks later...

Hey so BaRa, I'd love a hand with C4D if you have the time.

Specifically, what's the easiest way to change the rotation of a roof tile material on a roof object created in VW?

And, whats the easiest way to map a gutter onto the face created by the same VW roof tool?

Ping me at matcaird at hotmail.com if you can be bothered.

Thanks in advance.