All on all off

Jim Smith

Question

From time to time I will move a "Group" from one layer to another. Often the group will have class information attached that is not visable in the viewport I have moved the Group to. To find these objects, I need to turn all classes on by selecting all or most classes and turning these classes on. (This was faster to do in VW 10.) I would like to be able to "Turn on" all classes with a quick command, then go back to the viewport's settings once I have found the "missing" classes

4 answers to this question

You should be able to use the Visibilities mode in the Organization dialog box to control class and layer visibility in the Viewports.

There's even a preview button so you can preview the viewport as you turn the classes on or off.

Since VW 10 didn't have viewports, I don't know how you can compare the time it takes to do so with VW 11/12 and 10.

Turning and previewing classes and layers is faster in Vw 11 and 12 with the visibilities option that was not available in Vw 10.

I'd be interrested in hearing about the steps you used in VW 10 that is perceived as being faster.

Katie,

Perhaps I didn?t make my situation clear. I?m not referring to class visibility like ?Grey others? or ?show all?. In older versions of VW I used ?sheets? (now saved views, I think) in a similar way to viewports. Let me give you an example:

(VW10) Sheet A101 Basement Plan class CONC. BLOCK is visible only on Sheet A101. I make a mistake & select a door frame & some notes at the same time as the CONC walls and assign class info on everything selected.

At a later date I want the same group copied to sheet S101. When I paste the group from A101 to S101 items in say ?NONE? class are visible, those in the CONC.BLOCK class are not visible. OK, I know this is the result of a hidden class, but since it was two weeks ago that I set the class visibility, I have no idea what class to turn on. So

I choose classes from the top menu. The default visibility of this pop-up menu has the FIRST class listed at the top of the list, and it is highlighted. Scroll to the bottom of the list, hold the shift key down, select the last class, change the visibility of all classes (because they are all highlighted) and I can ?see? my missing object(s). I can now select the ?missing? objects, & change their class information to a class visible in this sheet.

If I now ?relaunch? the sheet my visibility is reset & I?m good to go.

(VW11) Same situation, but now I have Viewports A101 & S101 and copy & paste from one to another, & I am missing info. Again, I know this is a ?Class thing? & I want to temporarily adjust what classes are visible so I can find the little sweet beets. Temporarily adjusting the Viewport?s class visibility takes one to the Class list, but at the point of the ?Active? class. Helpful in other situations but not now because in most cases the active class isn't the first or the last listed class but rather some place in the middle. Scroll to one end of the list ,highlight the first class, scroll to the end, & follow the same process as with VW10.

The result is one (or is it two) more steps.

A faster route would be if I could (temporally) turn all classes on, then I could find those pesky missing things, change them to where they need to be. This is a something I use often when moving details from one viewport to another. Say I have a detail sheet that is just for millwork. The details may come from several sheets and can take some time to just adjust classes on the new sheet; er, sorry viewport.

Hope this is a little more clear.