VW 12 won't open

I just sent the following message to bugsubmit. This is related to an issue I read about on this forum (I can't tell you how helpful it was to have read something about similar problems!), but I can't find the thread now. Any news from anyone about a solution to this problem? Here's the report:

When I tried opening VW 12.0.1, I suddenly started getting the following message after the splash screen and before the workspace opens:

"VectorWorks.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

VW fails to open, and the computer hangs until I click on "Cancel." Having read about similar problems on the Users' bulletin board, I suspected my customized workspace. I removed that .qtr file (attached to this email) to the desktop, and VW opens fine. When I put the workspace back into it's folder, VW fails to boot, even though a different workspace has been entered as my current workspace. Rebooting my computer does not affect the problem.

The file "Copy of Architect.qtr" was created by modifying the standard "Architect.qtr", not by attempting to import a customized workspace from a previous version. I think this is a serious bug, and has something to do with some tool or function or bit of code in the workspace file. I can't tell you what change I may have made in the last day that might have triggered this problem. I can tell you that I have made no changes in the workspace since last successfully booting the program. However, I did have a problem with the program crashing due to attempting to render a Section Viewport in OpenGL. At the time, I thought this was a memory problem, but after I was able to get things working again by changing the rendering setting to Hidden Line, the next day this problem has started to occur.

Please take a look at this workspace and see if you can detect what is causing the problem. As it is, I have quite a few keyboard commands that I depend on for productivity that differ from the standard workspace, and I don't know which of the modifications is causing the problem.

I can also tell you that sometimes there is an odd blip on the splash screen just after the lines describing the program components ("Fundamentals, Architect, Renderworks") are added. This blip consists of a gray line that flashes across the screen. It does not appear when the program opens normally, it only appears (but not consistently) when my custom workspace is in the "Workspace" folder and the program fails to open.

BTW, I can't find the error log - however, my computer hangs when the Program Error window is open, and I have to click on "Cancel" to get the operating system back on line.

VW 12.0.1

Win2000 SP4

Dell Dimension 8200

P3 2.0Ghz

785MB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti200

The error log should be in your users folder.

Did you by any chance install a 3rd party plugin object, VS or menu during one of your last open instances of VW?

The long way to fix this is to delete VW and reinstall.

The short way is, if you have a backup copy of your workspace folder, replace the existing workspace folder with the backup.

If you don't, delete the current workspace you were using before the problem cropped up and VW should sucessfully launch. You will have to recreate your custom workspace.

It's a good idea from here forward to keep a backup copy of anything that is customized with VW such as the workspaces, modified plug-ins, default content or other library files.

Katie, I can get VW running okay just by removing my custom workspace from the workspace folder (thanks to others having worked this out the hard way!). Re: customization, I have added one VS tool, "Toggle zoom line pref". I also had to drag the 2d and 3d section tools into my workspace. Otherwise, it's just a number of keyboard shortcut modifications.

It would take me an hour to recreate my workspace - I hate to have to do this multiple times in a trial-and-error effort to locate the problem (assuming I could remember all my modifications correctly, which is unlikely!). Is there any way for NNA engineers to and step through the program to find the error? If the .qtr file were a text file, I might be able to tackle this, but since it isn't, I don't think I can make a meaningful effort.

There's the VW log in my user/Application Data/Nemetschek/VectorWorks/12 folder, but no error log.

The script likely has a call in it that is no longer compatible with VW 12. You may need to take a look at the script itself and see if there are any procedures in the script that are old and retired.

The quicktime change in VW 12 has been known to break older scripts, along with time and technological advancements.

Katie, it's pretty simple:

Procedure zoom;

begin

SetPref(9,not GetPref(9));

end;

run(zoom);

I don't write scripts, so I don't know if there's anything out of date there, but I had used this tool dozens of times in v.12 before experiencing the failure-to-boot problem described above. It looks like a pretty logical bit of code, and since it works . . . not sure what the problem could be.