importing DWG 3d symbol text

sues

Question

My surveyor sent me a DWG file which I've imported into VW12 however it does not import the topo line elevation text and all the text associated with the survey points. I see in the VW online manual that Vectorworks deletes text associated with 3d Symbols when translating DWG files. How can I work around this? Is there any setting I can use to preserve the text? Is there a way to have the surveyor prep the file before he emails it so it will work?

Thanks,

Sue

I'm using MacOS10.4, MacG5 2.3mhz duo w/4GB ram

4 answers to this question

We have this same problem and I believe it was around in VW 11 also. Our workaround is to call them, the surveyor, and have them 'explode' all the blocks, this way we have the text associated. I think you also keep the 3d information as a polygon. They then do not come in as a 3d symbol, but usually separate as a 3d polygon and text.

I am unsure as to a way we can import the block as a 3d symbol and have the text show. Is it a conflict with a 3d symbol and 2d text. I have tried the three different import options, 2d only, 2d and 3d, and 3d only, same result.

This is how we get around it...

My surveyor also resent it with the text exploded which worked.

I wish that Vectorworks would find a way in the next update to handle the text associated with 3d symbols in a DXF/DWG file though as there are times when I can't get the file resent easily or quickly.

You can get the surveyor to provide a text file of the survey points then "Import Survey File" under AEC menu, Survey Data. This creates a "Stake Object" in the VectorWorks file which is the best way to represent survey point data. A text file is readily available from the surveyor as it is created from point data file downloaded from the Total Station.