Object Visibility on Export

PeterT

Question

I would have hoped that objects that are not visible in the drawing would not export in a DWG export, but they do.

It seems that layer or class visibility is the only way to control object exports.

If I use the custom visibility settings(Hide/Show Objects) it makes no difference on export.

Why is this? It would make sense that invisible objects would not export regardless of the layer or class visibility settings.

I am on VW 11.5. Is there any change to this in VW12?

2 answers to this question

Custom visibility is intended to be a temporary change to enhance productivity. If you save a drawing with hidden objects and re-open it, the objects reappear. DXF/DWG export deliberately exports these temporarily hidden objects, since they are part of the normal drawing.

If there was sufficient demand, we could consider adding a feature to allow the visibility setting to affect export.

John,

Thanks for the response.

I guess I come from the "what you see is what you get" philosophy.

At the very least, there should be an option to export only the "Current View".

We use VectorScripts and custom visibilities a lot to control how our drawings appear, and it is always a bit frustrating when things reappear in the export that were not showing on screen when it was exported.

And in fact, it would be quite an enhancment to our productivity if we could temporarily hide specific objects that might cross layer and class boundries for the very purpose of excluding these objects from an export without hiding the entire layer or class.

Currently, I have written a export prep script to cut objects from one layer, and paste them on another to ensure or exclude them from export by using layer visibility. These objects are not necessarily all in the same class. The problem with this is it modifies the file, so we have to make a copy of the file first and perform the export from the copy.

It would be nice to be able to use criteria to hide or show objects for export, as this would ony be temporary and would not permanently modify the original file.