Import/Export DWG/DXF in VW 11.5

Balus

Question

I have two Problems

1. Import: I find that when I import DWG or DXF into Vectorworks that the text is not where it is supposed to be in all occasions. Most of it is correct but it still requires me to look over the whole drawing to make sure that the text is correct. Is there something I can do to fix this problem?

2. Export: I made drawing in VW with the ASME-D border and Title block and added my logo to title block. I then exported it to DWG and DXF files (several of the latest versions) and tried them on KeyCreator, Intellicad, Illustrator, and AutoCad 2002. There were some variations in layout but basically every drawing when opened in either of these produced very large line types for the borders, some text was shifted but not all. My logo which which is as symbol, includes text and and polyline symbol with fill. The text moved in the drawing and in reference to the company symbol. The fill of the company symbol also moved and was not apart of the outline but the outline was where it should be. When I import this back into VW it is fine.

Is there something I need to do to rectify this problem? I need to be able to transfer files in DWG and DXF both ways without file degradation as this is the only file that all these customers can use that is common to all of us.

Any information would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

1 answer to this question

1. Text is one of the most problematic areas, due mostly to AutoCAD's nonstandard sizing and alignment system. The first thing to do is to map to appropriate fonts. You can see what the standard AutoCAD fonts look like by downloading the PDFs at the top of this page. We are working on options to improve text handling, but currently it's a good idea to double-check after import.

2. If you can email the files to me I'll have them looked at.