Importing DWG Files

Robertk644

Question

This may run a bit long, but if you're able to help, I'll buy the beer...

I'm trying to import a series of DWG files. Broken down, they're essentially the foundation of a home, first floor, second floor and the roof. Is it possible to bring these files into Vectorworks and then render them as I would any other vectorworks file? I can't select walls, or objects as walls or objects. They're (or seem to be) made up of single objects. For instance, a wall is made of four lines and cannot be selected as a WHOLE wall, just the four lines can be individually selected. I can group them, but can't do anything else with them.

Anyone run into similar issues?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

11 answers to this question

New to VW v.12. Trying to import DWG file from my civil engineer (a land survey). Image that loads is microscopic. How do I enlarge this to fit in my drawing space, and can I use this as a first layer that I can build upon to do design work?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to having enough working knowledge to be able to help others.

Thanks

creopate

Just purchased VW12. Afraid I've made mistake. Need capabilty of importing and more importantly exporting DWG floor plans, elevaions and sections to Autocad, ADT, Archicad (and possibly Revit) and users. At a minimum need to know if VW12 can reliably translate layers and pen weights? 3D extrusions and rendering are not as important. I am second guessing my choice as i just found out Graphisoft offers a start-up version of ArchiCAD for $2000 and it has a "translation" dialog feature that helps facilitate import/export.

Yes, VW is great at importing and exporting DWG. It has a translation dialog that allows you to set how you want the translation done, and a table that lets you choose how to map fonts from the source file to your own system fonts, and another table for mapping Autocad colors to VW lineweights when that's appropriate.

It's always been great at DWG conversion, but they've added a lot of features to recent versions that make it possible to work in VW the same as you would in Autocad.

Great to hear! Some of the posts I had read were really getting me worried. I had been looking seriously at ArchiCAD but it seemed a bit too much. I am not an Architect but a designer/draftsman doing home remodels and need to interact with structural engineers. Do you have any experience exporting to ATD and/or Revit users?

Hey! I just started a new job at a company where the other designer/draftsman only uses AutoCad LT 2004 for drawings. I am able to import them just fine but I am working on creating a database of the lighting fixtures we use in Vectorworks. When I import his blocks and then try change the scale they end up looking funny. Any suggestions?

Thanks smile.gif

litebrite,

Sorry noone has answered. I'd like to help, but can't understand what you're asking.

Are you importing a file that contains blocks, or a file that was a block in Autocad and was WBlocked to disk?

By "change the scale", do you mean you put the block (or file) on a layer that's at a different scale, or are you trying to re-size a symbol that VW made out of a block? (If the latter, you can't resize symbols; you'd have to Convert Symbol to Group first.)

And in what way does it look funny? That could mean so many different things.

jan15

Hey Thanks, Katie gave me a hand and I got it mostly working. The problem was that the file had blocks in it that when imported would not retain their lineweights when scaled with the rest of the drawing. I will keep your suggestions in mind though. Thanks so much

Erin