importing VW11 on pc to VW10 on mac

p3200

Question

I am having a lot of trouble doing what seems like it should be fairly simple. We're saving the VW11 document as VW10 and then exporting. Here, at the mac end, I can't import these files. When I can even open them through importing they are not showing up as sent. Is it the mcd suffix? Should that be dropped? If it's been turned into a VW10 document at the PC end do I need to "import" in the first place? Could I just open?

Certainly very basic questions but I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks...

5 answers to this question

You don't need to import them, but it might be a good idea to try opening them from within VW.

Do the usual file-open- etc.

It should open no problem.

I use Windows PC with VW 10.5 at home and Apple VW 11.5 in the office studio and have no problem, unless I forget to save the file from 11.5 to 10.5 for when I'm at home working ;~)

Never had a problem except if I saved it on CD. Then I have to copy it to my machine because VW cannot "write back" to a burnt CD and gives a permissions error

Alan

[ 12-01-2005, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

Hi p3200

No. not really any problems, certainly from my experience.

The fact you have .mcd within the Windows version file name does not seem to bother Macs, although they don't show the VW logo against the file on your hard disc, just the generic file image with the little turned over corner.

Its kind of good in a way because when looking on your hard disc at VW files you can see at a glance were they may have originated from.

Of course this gets lost the moment you "save" because with VW11 you'll have "imported" the VW10 file and will be converted, but of course will now have a VW11 version of it alongside your VW10 one.

The only downside, as it almost shows in my explaination, is it can get confusing between what is the latest version of which from which platform etc. etc. when dealing with co-workers.

I'm hoping to upgrade to get both on VW12 to ensure I at least don't have a version issue problem. Hoping to go Mac at home as well but that's in the hands of the "buying department" and Santa at the moment.

Did you open the files by the way?

Alan

Just one thing which did occur to me, but I don't use them so didn't consider it - Viewports were introduced in VW11. so I don't know how that's handled when you save down to VW10.

As I work mostly with VW10 I'm still using sheets for multipage documents when I do them, never looked at Viewports but I feel I should. Maybe over the Christmas break.

I do most of my stuff in 3D and as I've said no problems so far. Older files from VW8.5 my earlier version, into 10 or 11 sometimes has minor issues and shapes such as ellipses will go screwy sometimes, but not to the point of files completely corrupted.

Alan