Dimension std issues upon import

Razzman

Question

Using VW 11.5 importing AutoCAD DXF or DWG files. I've noticed a lot of excessive lenght dimension lines when importing. If I view the PDF of the imported file the dimension lines contain arrowheads. However they import as "slashes", similar to the Arch standard. and the slashes are real long and you can't alter the lenght at all, just the size of the corresponding witness lines. If I change the dimension standard, I get giant arrowheads. Any ideas as to how I can fix this import issue?

Thanks,

Bill Rzasa

3 answers to this question

VectorWorks uses the units and dimension settings of the VectorWorks document when importing.

If you want to ensure you get the same look as the original document, you can use the import option to convert dimensions to groups. If you want to preserve the dimension objects, you can set the document to the correct units and dimension standard before importing. (The PDF, or importing first as groups, or use of a DWG viewer, can help you determine what the dimensions look like in the original.)

The size of the markers is determined in part by the layer scale. You can adjust this in the import dialog (model space scale), or you can change the size of the drawing area on the design layers first. Big markers indicates that the scale is probably too high and drawing area is possibly too small, and VectorWorks is zoomed in on the objects, making them look large.

quote:

Originally posted by jodawi:

VectorWorks uses the units and dimension settings of the VectorWorks document when importing.

If you want to ensure you get the same look as the original document, you can use the import option to convert dimensions to groups. If you want to preserve the dimension objects, you can set the document to the correct units and dimension standard before importing. (The PDF, or importing first as groups, or use of a DWG viewer, can help you determine what the dimensions look like in the original.)

The size of the markers is determined in part by the layer scale. You can adjust this in the import dialog (model space scale), or you can change the size of the drawing area on the design layers first. Big markers indicates that the scale is probably too high and drawing area is possibly too small, and VectorWorks is zoomed in on the objects, making them look large.